.stl model - features I don't understand.

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
RobSm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6090

.stl model - features I don't understand.

Post by RobSm »

HI.
I have been given an .stl model. I have never used them before - usually I do my own either in Rhino or Aspire/Vcarve.

Having imported and aligned the model I find three entries in the modelling tab - tabs. limit plane and the model.

Nothing appears to happen when I turn the tab or limit plane on or off -

Can anyone recommend a Vectric tutorial/s that covers these features because I want to know wtf they do before I put anything on the machine.

As far as appearances go the model seems to cut acceptably, but I'm flying blind to a large extent.

Thanks,Rob
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 7.30.29 pm.png

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: .stl model - features I don't understand.

Post by ohiolyons »

You need to attach the file if there aren't copyright issues. Just imported a STL to refresh my memory.

Tabs and limit planes are not automatically added just doing a simple importing of a STL. There are nine items in your component tree so you added several components yourself.

Without access to the file the most likely explanation for not seeing the TABS & LIMIT PLANE is that they are on a Layers that are not turned on.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: .stl model - features I don't understand.

Post by garylmast »

When you import the stl model, the box will open and you will determine an overcut distance in the Limit Plane (Zero Plane). The Limit Plane is the bottom of each side. The amount you put will become a negative distance your tool will travel past the Limit Plane. On a double sided job you need to set up some tabs you'll find under clipart -- 3D Tabs. Since your tool will cut past the limit plane, you don't need to do a profile cut, where usually you'll add tabs there. Under the component properties (crescent wrench icon) you can open the limit plane to adjust the negative base height that you set during the import process. Since you imported three different models, you will need to set tabs on all three. You can always combine your models before you import them to save you those steps. Hope that explained your problem.

Gary
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG