How to set three Safe Z Points?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
halzucati
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom

How to set three Safe Z Points?

Post by halzucati »

I want to know if there's a way to set three Z1 safe points in Aspire 10 (latest version)

I'm doing engraving where my XYZ zero point is the back left of my Axios CNC 24x36 machine when facing the front.

The problem I'm having is I need to clear a fixture clamp that is 1.25" taller than the z zero plane of the part being engraved.

This means that to clear this clamp I have to set my Z1 safe height too 1.25 to clear.
That means that since there are many plunge moves in the engraving program that the machine is constantly rapiding up and plunging down.

Is there a way to set the Z1 safe height at three parts in the program. One to get it to over the part area where there are no clamps, then one to do the engraving work, and finally one to bring it back up to clamp clearance height?

So in other words I want my program to do this:

1. Move from XYZ zero (machine home) to over the engraving area (where no clamps exist) while doing so at a safe Z1 height that will clear my fixture clamps.

2. Set a new Z1 safe height and have it be only 0.100" above the part so the plunge moves are minimal until the engraving is finished.

3. Once the engraving is finished set a new Z1 safe height and at that height (which clears my fixture clamps, return to XYZ zero (machine home) and end program.

Thanks in advance.
- Hal Zucati

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: How to set three Safe Z Points?

Post by Adrian »

Depends on how the moves from the home/start position to the first plunge on your machine work. If you have the Z Gap Above Material set to clear the clamp and your machine moves in the XY before going down in the Z then you would just set the Z Gap to more than 1.25" and Z1/Z2 to just above the material.

However if your machine moves in a compound way by reducing the Z at the same time as doing the XY move it may hit the clamp depending how far along the move it is.

I removed the home moves in my post processor so I can manually move the machine over any obstructions to the work piece and it just moves from where I put it to the first cut.

halzucati
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom

Post by halzucati »

Thank you,
That's my issue, the Axiom moves in a compound way so that XYZ all move together from the home position to the start position, I'll follow up with Axiom to see if there's a way to change that behavior so that it keeps the Z-axis static during home to start rapid moves.
- Hal

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Research these items:

1) RAPID_PLUNGE_TO_START_Z

2) Move the START Position to the center of material. (This is shown as Home/Start, but the term home is inaccurate and misleading)
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't know your machine or its control software but do you have to start from that position all the time?
I have only used mach3 & now UCCNC so have no experience with other control software. I use a park position but that is controlled manually. I could edit the post processor to include that park move but having no idea how to do that I just do it manually.
So if I am at the park position & just jog my machine manually until it is past any obstructions like clamps before hitting the cycle start button :lol: :lol: :lol: