A little needle & thread help

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

A little needle & thread help

Post by gkas »

The SO gave me a sketch for her idea for her 'non-attendee' badge for the 2021 UGM in San Diego.

Part of it is a needle and thread. I've roughed most of the pieces in, then I'll go back and finalize. Here's a clip of a needle and thread.
Needle and Thread
Needle and Thread
I'll smooth out the thread, etc, but my question is style. The eye of the needle should be threaded. Should I cut the thread where it's going into the eye on top and add another section that appears to be coming out from underneath? I want it to look like a real threaded needle. Like the over/under you get with extrude and weave.

I've been watching all of the latest series of Michael Mezalick videos. It sure is tougher to do a different project on your own. But, I have already used some cool moves I didn't know before, and this is sure a good way to reinforce the lessons.

Thanks Michael, the series has been fantastic.

Guilloche and the Photo-VCarve toolpath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Ev8wtJHto

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: A little needle & thread help

Post by adze_cnc »

gkas wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:06 pm
I'll smooth out the thread, etc, but my question is style. The eye of the needle should be threaded. Should I cut the thread where it's going into the eye on top and add another section that appears to be coming out from underneath? I want it to look like a real threaded needle.
The thread and needle eye are almost parallel making under and over less than convincing if you change it to do so. Can the thread loop higher than the needle (thread almost perpendicular to the needle eye)?

That way it could enter the eye from front to back if that makes sense.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: A little needle & thread help

Post by gkas »

I cut the thread and had it go over the needle eye. I put this section of thread in Add Mode. The 'exiting thread' I put in merge mode.
Over - Under
Over - Under