Aspire, error with rotary job

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
AlfredV
Model of CNC Machine: BZT PFU1010 high portal + 4th axis

Re: Aspire, error with rotary job

Post by AlfredV »

Thanks,
yes i used a 5mm bit for real deal. You see the line where it eats to much. Same as the
rendering of aspire.
With the last rendering i used a ball nose. Just to see what will happen on the seam.
And i must say that in that rendering i made the milling area smaller. Still you see a seam . To me it seems that the software makes a weird calculation along the split line. From the outside to the inside of the material.
Tomorrow an other day.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

To me it seems that the software makes a weird calculation along the split line.
If the STL doesn't match perfectly then the seam will be visible.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Let's discard ideas of toolpaths and go back to the original model. I can't read Aspire files so I was doing my test with the STL file in VCarve v8.519 and this is what I found:
  • The STL file (in Rhinoceros 3D) is nicely formed and shows no seams or other discontinuities.
  • If I specify a material diameter the same as the STL object when I import the STL file into VCarve the resulting model has a significant seam which when toolpathed (roughing and finishing) shows as your cut does.
  • When I specify a material diameter larger than the STL object when I import the STL file into VCarve the resuting model has a barely noticeable seam which when toolpathed (roughing and finishing) shows but not by much,
So, when you take a 360 degree zoom around the model in Aspire is it seamless or does it have a visible discontinuity? If it's there in the original model no amount of altering the toolpath will really get rid of it.

AlfredV

Post by AlfredV »

I will check tomorrow first thing. To my knowledge there was no seam in the stl file. The moment i calculate a roughing it became visible. So i check and let you know. Also i will increase the size of the stock material. Just milled it at 54mm. Lets see. Thank you for your help and sharing tjoughts with me.

AlfredV

Post by AlfredV »

I will leave it with the knowledge that software could not handle this stl file well. Something with the split line, outside to the inside of the stock, the spiral shape and the calculation to put it back together. Can not see it in an other way. With a lot of other items Aspire works amazing.

Meanwhile other projects are waiting.

Thanks for the help.

Greets from Holland.
Attachments
917942BE-61D3-4945-915F-FDAE015B8565.jpeg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Please send an email to support@vectric.com with a description of the problem and the links to the various files. They can research it further.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

AlfredV

Post by AlfredV »

I wil.
Meanwhile I am trying to get it done again as a test with an other item.
Wondering if my set up is correct. I should do the job as it should.
I again looked at the tutorial and my windows doesn't give me the same view.
So I want to know what I am doing wrong.
I import a file from Grabcad. A standard candleHOLDER.
In the tutorial I get a 3d view from a blue handle just as it is, nice and perfect.
I get a candle holder with again a weird 'seam' along the holder.

Hope that someone can verify it for me.

https://grabcad.com/library/candle-stick

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I used to do a lot of rotary stuff, but my current machine doesn't have a rotary option, so not any more. When I used to do rotary stuff, I would see a seam like that when the tool "fell off the edge" of the design. Basically, if the center of the tool goes beyond the edge of the component, it will start down towards the middle of the part, and leave this seam. This can happen if you're using a boundary offset, as an example. My fix was to make the component so it overlapped at the ends - I artificially made the component a little longer and set up the design so it would overlap at the ends. I don't know if that works well for you here as the components were generated outside of the software.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Are you using a tapered ballnose for the finish toolpath? A TBN will leave a beveled edge that may be the cause of a visible seam.
Steve

AlfredV

Post by AlfredV »

Just an end mill for roughing, with that it goes wrong, and later a finishing with the ball nose.