issue with toolpaths for 3D objects

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
conleyshepherd
Model of CNC Machine: Zenbot 4896

issue with toolpaths for 3D objects

Post by conleyshepherd »

should we be able to have multiple 3D objects in a project and create individual object toolpaths? I would imagine so hopefully.

That does not work in my project.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1134725 ... &ref=notif

The thread has all of the description and pictures.

Still working out my skills.
I have a test area that I would like to cut in this piece of material. The 2 big pieces have been cut and the material is still on the machine.
The 2nd eagle highlighted is what I am trying to do a 3D roughing on. When I press calculate, both 3D birds get a new toolpath and not just the selected one.
Can these 2 be separated?
Trying to make a test cut to see how my finish color application will go, but not able to get the separate tool path for the copied, and also imported with same result, bird
Thoughts?
191600393_4161683530521243_7518714513854784281_n.jpg
192250233_4161680400521556_3124778562866438912_n.jpg
192120548_4161790163843913_5825943234153639731_n.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: issue with toolpaths for 3D objects

Post by TReischl »

Create a closed vector boundary around the areas you want to cut and use those to control the cutting area.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

conleyshepherd

Post by conleyshepherd »

TReischl wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:36 am
Create a closed vector boundary around the areas you want to cut and use those to control the cutting area.
Thank you for your reply, I can certainly try that, but would like to have the multiple 3D object question answered as well.

Should we be able to process multiple 3D objects in their own tool path without going through any hoops? Why would selecting a 3D object and then while selected choosing a 3D roughing toolpath process all 3D objects? That would either be a bug or a severe limitation of the product. I paid a lot for the Aspire product and expect a little more options with regards to 3D objects processing.

My process to get the toolpaths created were to delete everything in the project except for the desired 3D object. I then created the tool paths and then restored to project with all components. Would have been much nicer to just select the 3D object and create a unique toolpath for the SELECTED object.

conleyshepherd

Post by conleyshepherd »

TReischl wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:36 am
that didn't work, or I am doing this wrong:
vector boundary error.png

Hermie
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Post by Hermie »

In that situation I uncheck the models I don’t want to machine.

conleyshepherd

Post by conleyshepherd »

Hermie wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:36 pm
In that situation I uncheck the models I don’t want to machine.
That worked much better! Thank you !

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

The reason it didn't work when you tried TReischl's method is that you didn't define and select closed vectors around the objects you wanted to cut. Creating closed vectors is easy - just select the component, and then click on the "Create vector boundary around selected components" button. Then you select the vector (not the component) and use that to create the carving toolpath.

Hermie's method also works, if you want to carve entire components. However, the vector method give you more control over exactly what gets carved, and can allow you to carve all or only part of one or several components, so it is a somewhat more powerful way to define what gets carved.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If 3D machining is something that is new(ish) to you then it's worth spending some time with the tutorials, the roughing & finish toolpaths work a little differently to some of the other toolpaths :lol: :lol: :lol

If you are using :Hermie's method you need to be careful what you select as your machining boundry or you could end up machining away areas where another 3D component is suppose to be :lol: :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Would placing the separate components (e.g. the bird, the trees) on their own separate levels and then using the “Selected Level” option instead of “Model Boundary” or “Selected Vector(s)” work as well?

I mainly machine imported Rhino 3D models so I’ve never needed to look at the “Selected Level” option.

conleyshepherd

Post by conleyshepherd »

martin54 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:31 pm
If 3D machining is something that is new(ish) to you then it's worth spending some time with the tutorials, the roughing & finish toolpaths work a little differently to some of the other toolpaths :lol: :lol: :lol

If you are using :Hermie's method you need to be careful what you select as your machining boundry or you could end up machining away areas where another 3D component is suppose to be :lol: :lol:
New to the software, but not the concepts. I am a programmer by trade and have done CAD design for PC boards and test fixtures. Just trying to get the nuances of the software. I agree that I need more tutorials, but there are so many and hard to find one initially for what I need to do. :-D

Understood about the different methods. Very cognizant of the other clearance and finish toolpaths. :)

Thank you for the reply!

conleyshepherd

Post by conleyshepherd »

adze_cnc wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:08 pm
Would placing the separate components (e.g. the bird, the trees) on their own separate levels and then using the “Selected Level” option instead of “Model Boundary” or “Selected Vector(s)” work as well?

I mainly machine imported Rhino 3D models so I’ve never needed to look at the “Selected Level” option.
ok, never thought about those options. I will try this.Thank you for the suggestion!