2D Profile Toolpath Issue

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
BassCentral
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD5

2D Profile Toolpath Issue

Post by BassCentral »

Hello Vectric forum experts:

This will likely be a quick fix, but it has me baffled. I have a guitar body outline vector for which I have created a profile toolpath (see attached file). I want the tool to remain outside of the vector to simply cut the body out of the material block. The problem I have is that, despite the fact that I have selected the “Outside/Right” option for the toolpath, the software seems to be treating the cut as if I had selected the “On” option. As a result, the cut is centered on the vector which results in a portion of the outer perimeter of the guitar body being removed. The other strange this is that it appears the software has actually created two profile toolpaths, one running clockwise and the other running counterclockwise (see below). Do you have a suggestion that would allow me to keep the cut to the outside of the vector?

p.s.: I have already verified that this is a closed vector, so I don't thnk it is a closed vs. open vector problem.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Scott
Attachments
Profile Toolpath Test.crv3d
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 56 times

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: 2D Profile Toolpath Issue

Post by martin54 »

Think you may have a problem with the vector maybe a loop or something, you would have to zoom in as close as you can & then follow the vector all the way round. Anyway a simple fix is to select the vector, go to edit, curve fit vectors & select bezier curves, preview & then accept results. After doing that then re profile with your original bit & all should be good. :lol: :lol:

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

I agree with Martin. After trying to track down the issue unsuccessfully, I did a curve fit with a tolerance of 0.001" then recalculated the cut. Works fine now.

Edit: I switched tools to a 1" cutter, which made it obvious that the cut is BOTH inside and outside the line. That's because you're right: there are 2 sides to the vector and the tool path is taking both. Probably due to a loop as Martin says.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Martin is correct. Arrow in the pic shows the node with a loop back. Zoom in really close and drag one of the offending nodes to see it.
Attachments
Loop.png
Loop2.png
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

A quick way of fixing problems like that that don't show in the vector validator is to do an offset on the vectors by a tiny amount in/out and then use the curve fit tool to get back to beziers.

Interestingly with this one an offset creates two completely separate sets of vectors so you would need to delete one set after the initial offset.

BassCentral
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD5

Post by BassCentral »

Wow, you guys really have a sharp eye! Prior to posting the project file on this forum, I thought I had gone over the vector with a fine-tooth comb looking for these sorts of anomalies. Yet there was still one bad node hiding out that Martin and Steve were able to find. I just went back into the complete project and fixed that issue and everything now works fine. Thank you all for helping me move forward with this project.