Create Component from Toolpath Preview Help

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Create Component from Toolpath Preview Help

Post by wb9tpg »

I'm watching an old Vectric youtube video called "Vectric - VCarve From 3D - Must See Technique" and I'm trying to do it in Aspire 10.5. I see the menu structure has changed a bit (no problem there) but I get as far as clicking the "Create Component from Toolpath Preview". In the video it says to "Control Click" that option but it does not do anything when I select hold control and click that option. It's at 4 min 35 seconds in the video.

Not sure if VMware is messing with the control key or there is a new way of doing that in 10.5 but would appreciate some advice.

Thanks, Gary
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Create Component from Toolpath Preview Help

Post by scotttarnor »

I just tried it, it did nothing with control held down and created the component without holding control. I guess holding control is no longer required?
Scott T

@scottscnc

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You will only see a difference if the toolpath preview is a toolpath of a 3D model. Holding Ctrl creates a new model that is the difference between the model and the toolpath preview. It's used to show areas that would benefit from using a smaller tool (rest machining). Or in the case of this particular technique to create vectors for v-carving from a model.

You can also hold down Shift which will discard areas of the toolpath preview outside of the corresponding model.

There's more detail and examples in the documentation.

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Thank You Adrian!
Scott T

@scottscnc

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

Thanks Adrian

It did nothing with just control held down but created the component with both control and shift held down. Might be a VMware Fusion things interrupting Control alone.

I wanted to use it to try to generate vectors to laser onto a 1911 grip to highlight areas of the 3D design. Here is the first simulation result and it looks pretty neat. I night play around with other bit sizes to see how that works. But it does what I wanted it to. Thank you

Sample Elephant.jpg
Sample Elephant 2.jpg
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Remember that on a Mac (which I presume you are using) "Ctrl-Click" is used by the system when using one-button mice as a synonym for clicking the right mouse button.