Problem saving toolpaths

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Problem saving toolpaths

Post by gordread »

Is anyone else having intermittent problems with Aspire hanging up when saving toolpaths?

I haven't been able to isolate a cause, but it happens periodically, and I have to shut down Aspire (losing any unsaved changes) before I can try to save again. :(

I am running the most current version of Aspire, and have all of the current Windows patches.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

Gordon

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Problem saving toolpaths

Post by gkas »

I would guess a computer problem, such as a hard drive is going into fail mode; bad tracks, etc

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Where are you saving the toolpaths to? A hard drive on the computer or a USB or other type external drive?

USB drives can cause all sorts of problems at any time & as gkas says if a computer drive it could be either a memory or some other cause like a lot of bad sectors. Scan your drives for errors & make sure there is plenty of staoage space. :lol: :lol:

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I have been having a similar problem.

In my case, it seems to be a Windows issue, related to a file explorer window connected to a network drive that is usually open. The network drive is where I copy toolpaths saved from Aspire (I don't write to it from Aspire) and the CNC computer reads them directly from that drive. If I put my laptop to sleep without first closing the file explorer window connected to the network drive, then when I wake it up the next day, the Windows file system seems to be in an error state. Any Aspire action that would cause the file selection window to open up hangs Aspire, even though I'm not reading from or writing to the network drive. The trigger is usually saving a toolpath, but has also happened when opening toolpath templates and when clicking "File | Open Application Data Folder". If I do close the file explorer window before putting the laptop to sleep, then this problem doesn't seem to happen.

This doesn't seem to happen in other programs, but I'm not sure Aspire is to blame, since it is not actually accessing the offending network file folder directly.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

BrooksM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 SR-24, Shark SD110

Post by BrooksM »

Hi Forum,

1st time post and have been following the incredible content and advise since installing Aspire 3 mongths ago.

I've seen this and had me frustrated when I hadn't saved the 3D toolpath prior. Which lead me into opening the Task Manager and found a file "SandboxedFileDialog.exe" under the Aspire task. Stopping SandboxedFileDialog.exe allowed me to save off the Toolpath and .crv files.
The Support Team at Vectric were helpful here and attributed to my anti-virus software and after added Vectric to the Trusted List, I have not seen the issue since.

Hopefully this help.
Good Luck
Brooks