Advice for Retired Folks Getting Into This Hobby

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Advice for Retired Folks Getting Into This Hobby

Post by TReischl »

I spent most of my life rarely having the time to really sit down and learn something new. There was always a deadline to be met. So, I learned what I needed and moved on. No one was going to pay me to sit around learning things that were not profitable. It is just the way it was, I am not bitter about it at all.

Now then, I retired a long time ago. That mode of just learning what I needed persisted for a long time (old habits die hard and all that). Finally, it dawned on me! I have all the time I need to really learn something new inside and out. I did that a few years ago when I decided to learn a new 3D cad program. I literally spent two months watching tutorials, following along with them, etc. Now, when I want to model something, it is fun and easy. It is great knowing how most of it works (I say most because I did not delve into things like rendering or animation).

So that is my first piece of advice, slow down, stop, and smell the roses.

My second piece of advice ties in with the first. Do not create artificial deadlines in your head for no reason. You would like to make something for someone and have it done by Friday. That may not be realistic given your level of knowledge, machining time really required to do a good job (think finish cuts, ohhh, they are SUCH a waste of time, no, they are not). Here is an example: A few years ago I wanted to create two signs for my stepson. You may have seen them here, a 2A sign and a motorcycle sign. Well, I got started a little late but I wanted them to be really nice, something he would be happy to hang in his man cave. Sure enough, I did not get them done in time for his BDay. Sooo, out went the gift certificate instead. He got the signs on his next BDay.

This piece of advice I learned from somewhere on YouTube: A hobby is something you have to WORK at. Just cranking things out one after another is not a hobby, it is production work. The idea behind a hobby is that you expand your knowledge of a subject. If you are in it for "look at me" pats on the back that will soon grow old. That is not to say you should not be proud of what you create. And yup, we all enjoy being told that what we create is beautiful, unique, incredible, etc.

Experts. An expert used to be any ordinary person more than 50 miles from home. Now it includes anyone who can figure out how to make a YouTube video or website. Some experts have a nasty habit of telling others that their way is THE way. BS. I have seen lots of videos in which the person was doing it the hardest way possible with mediocre results. You also need to pay attention to the experts point of view. A person operating a shop looks at this process quite differently than a hobbyist would. I know, I have been both.

There are no silver bullets, magical formulas, etc. The prime example of that is chipload charts. They are typically made for industrial machines. There are some that try to adjust for "lesser" machines. They can get you closer, but in the end it is up to your judgement and level of expertise.

Do not be hesitant to try new things or techniques. The machine is not going to blow up and take out your whole neighborhood. Usually the worst that happens is you will break a tool or knock your machine out of alignment. Things easily corrected and you have learned something in the process.

Running unattended because it is cool and lets you do other things saving time. Oh, there are folks who tell us that they monitor the machine on their cell phones etc. Uh huh. And if you are a bit too far away when the disaster happens you get to call the fire department on that same cell phone. I don't about you, but I have spent 40 years building up my shop, tools I have made, machines, jigs, fixtures, tooling, carving tools, chisels, workbench, etc. Yea, I have insurance, big deal, I do not have enough time left on this planet to rebuild all the stuff I have made. My advice is: Don't do it. You are retired, get off the hamster wheel.

Tooling. Well, this can be a touchy subject with some folks. Myself, I like cheap, as in HSS cheap from China. Those tools have been working well for me. Other folks feel more confident buying "the best" out there. The problem is when you are running a $20 tool you will be hesitant to push it or experiment with it. A $2 tool? Not so much. Especially when you buy them in packs of 5 or 10. I know, I know, but carbide lasts 3X longer. Yes and no. That is true for very rigid industrial machines. But most tool failures on a hobby machine are caused by lack of rigidity, not lack of sharpness. The other way I look at it is: Yup, carbide lasts 3X longer and HSS cost 1/4 or less than carbide, so what am I gaining since I am not running a production shop? Nothing. There is no labor cost in a hobby shop.

The idea of a hobby is to have fun while learning something new and growing. Enjoy yourself.

Edit: I learned something a long time ago. . . . I asked someone if they thought I could do something. The answer? Do you think you can? So, if there is something you want to do, have at it. May not work the first time, or even the umpteenth time, but if you really want to do it you will figure out how, or that it is impossible. In the process you will learn a lot.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Re: Advice for Retired Folks Getting Into This Hobby

Post by GeneMpls »

True thoughts... I would add that as you get older, you will slow down. It is natural and inevitable and inescapable. You can accept it and deal with it... or fight it [you will not win]. We are doing this to make our old age happier. Gene

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

I agree with everything you said Ted. This is a fun retirement hobby (addiction?) that I don't want to turn into a business. I will make something for a business on rare occasions but it is not for sale to them or anyone else. The most they pay is for material costs, and I do it for the fun of it. It sometimes leads to more work than I wanted to get into though...

I have made some nice gifts for all of my family members to remember me by when I'm gone. That's worth more to me than the expense and "oh craps" I made while making the gifts. :D

Richard
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

+1 Ted
The only learn what you have to scenario is especially true and I still fall into that trap. Case in point I recently inquired about a set of files from a different platform that I wanted to construct. Not compatible with Aspire. Is it doable to model in Aspire, absolutely. Time for Ron to learn something new instead of just the same old things. After all I paid the bucks for the software and currently take advantage of probably only 20% of it.

Ron

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Ted, I agree.

Case in point was the STL file from some other software. I spend a whole lot of time just learning what I needed to needed to know. I got it. I also spent a lot of time on getting my machine to make some Greene and Greene draw pulls. Lots of time learning. Deadlines - no - I will NOT do that.

I am sick and tired of ________ (you fill in the gap) young (smarter than me??) bosses asking - "When will THAT be done". NO MORE!!!!!!!

Retirement is FREEDOM - Freedom from that rat race.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

After building my business shy of 30-years, I retired. That was 23-years ago. From working 80 to 100 hour work week to nothing to do was a major shock. If it wasn’t for my hobbies which includes a lot of software in the 3D world, and playing with all my “Toys” in the shop, I would have went nuts a long time ago. Okay, I was already nuts, but it helps doing all this fun stuff. Actually, the 100’s of hours watching videos and learning the different software and playing on the computer is as enjoyable as the actual building and putting together the different projects done in the shop.

Gary

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

+1 Ted. I was an I.T. Systems Administrator for the University of Arizona and retired about 10 years ago. At first, I didn't know what to do with all of my free time and it took a while to adjust. I had a Carvewright cnc but that didn't seem to fill the yearning so I bought a semi-professional CNC and learned how to use it (some what). I thought that now that I have this nice new machine I just can't let it set idle. It took a couple of years to finally realize that wood working is just a hobby, for me anyway, and I didn't have to make projects one after another.

Another factor is friends and family. Once they have seen some of the projects I've made they all have requests. I don't like to disappoint my family but if I made everything that was requested it would be the same as production work. So now, I just pick and choose the projects. Some are complicated and some are just simple but, I work on them when I want to. Once I adjusted my way of thinking I'm having a lot more fun at not only woodworking but with other things of interest also.
Steve

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

TReischl wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:49 pm
So that is my first piece of advice, slow down, stop, and smell the roses.
My last professional gig was supposed to extend another year (30 years as a self-employed software/training consultant). The company was sold and the contract wasn't renewed. That extra year would have paid for a few more tools and toys. But the year I did get in paid for my CNC, a nice jointer/planer, and some little stuff. So I don't have the 3D printer (yet), I don't have the add-ons to my other tools (yet). At first I thought I would make stuff for sale. I sold a few hundred $ worth over a year, and realized that what interests me apparently doesn't interest the buying public. So now I just do what I want. I have an arrangement with a young entrepreneur couple to do the occasional bit of CNC work, so as long as I cover the heat and power, I figure I'm ahead.

Today, for example, was a beautiful early Spring day here. So I put aside what I was doing and sat in the open shop door with a glass of wine, watching the birds.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Dan O
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Post by Dan O »

+1. My dad, as he got older always said "drive slow", when we were leaving after a visit. For a long time we thought he was just telling us to be careful. But we came to realize that what he was really telling us was to slow down and enjoy what you have. Don't be in a hurry. Life goes by fast enough. Enjoy the journey. It's good advice for us "older folks". It can be frustrating learning a new skill, but also very rewarding. "Drive Slow"

Uncle Bob
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3x5 ATC

Post by Uncle Bob »

+1 to everyone's comments on retirement! We all worked hard for years to get to this point. ENJOY. I make what I want, on my schedule.

Expert: an ex is a has been; a spurt is just a little drip under pressure....

Make some sawdust, have some fun.

Uncle Bob

jay pieper
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: laguna swift 4x4

Post by jay pieper »

Everyone has some great comments on this subject and I agree with all
of you. I have found the most liberating word I have in my vocabulary now
is the word NO. And if you follow that with the second most powerful words
of THANK YOU, you get a great felling of stress relief.