After Christmas comes ....

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

After Christmas comes ....

Post by martin54 »

So having got Christmas out of the way the people who look after the Fairy Wood decided that Easter would be a good time to do something. Not quite sure how this happened but they have included more schools this time round & I have 800 easter eggs to cut for the kids to paint lol
Made a start cutting today but not got very far yet :lol: :lol: :lol:
easter egg single.jpg
easter egg sheet.jpg

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: After Christmas comes ....

Post by scotttarnor »

800 ! Wow ! Good luck! Try to enjoy it since it’s for a good cause 😁
Scott T

@scottscnc

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Great project Martin, would like to see some of the eggs after they are painted....
John
Maker of Chips

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

800 eggs...no yolk? :D
Thats an awesome project for a great cause. I too would love to see some of the painted results.
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for comments, I will try & do better this time, I did mean to go along & take some pictures of the Christmas Trees after they had been put out in the woods but never got round to it.
Might have to cut a few plywood Bunnies as well for this but they haven't decided on those yet, I just do what I'm told :lol: :lol: :lol:

They raised money for a wishing well so I have a sign to do for that, probably going to be something like Oak for that & will have the name of the wishing well & something about making a wish, they have asked for suggestions on the facebook page for that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott, I enjoy pretty much everything I do, if I didn't then I wouldn't be doing it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

When I first saw this I was thinking Bacon slices would be nice and then realized it's not for a Breakfast event it's for Easter. Always hungry.
Martin, the Steve Good's scrollsaw site has lots of graphics you can use for free. Plenty of Bunnies & Chicks. I'm sure he would be tickled a lot that his designs get used for such a project. Be sure to let him know and he might do a shout out about your work on his site.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Savannahdan wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:21 am
When I first saw this I was thinking Bacon slices would be nice and then realized it's not for a Breakfast event it's for Easter. Always hungry.
Martin, the Steve Good's scrollsaw site has lots of graphics you can use for free. Plenty of Bunnies & Chicks. I'm sure he would be tickled a lot that his designs get used for such a project. Be sure to let him know and he might do a shout out about your work on his site.
Have to make a note of that for future reference thanks, not looked into scrollsaw plans are they vector format or bitmap? I've done all the artwork for this now but will remember to check out his site for the next event they do.
Funny you should mention bacon because this 3mm white faced MDF I'm cutting the eggs from is wavy enough to do bacon strips :lol: :lol:

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard

Post by Savannahdan »

His plans are posted in a pdf file. I use Adobe Acrobat and extract what pages I need. They usually have duplicate vectors that need to be deleted.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Martin,
Spectacular project!
Please do share pictures of finished eggs!
Maker of sawdust

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

So quick update, originally these were going to be a bit bigger & there was going to be half & half easter eggs & easter Bunnies but one of the people who is running the whole thing said to make them all the same as in Her experience if there were different things to paint there would be problems over who gets what :lol: :lol: She also thought they could be a bit smaller. Originally I had ordered 7 sheets of 8 x 4 white faced Hardboard & this was going to be enough for about 150 eggs & 150 bunnies.
So to keep things somple we changed it to just easter eggs & reduced the size a bit, the other thing that was said was that these would be going to 4 schools & 3 Nurseries & they would need 800 of them :lol: :lol: I managed to fit 86 onto each 8 x 4 sheet so 10 sheets needed in total, ordered more material & now waiting on it arriving, I have cut the 7 sheets that I had so there are 600 here which will be going out to schools next week for the kids to paint. probably give them a quick spray with a topcoat to help but they will only need to survive for a week or so.
I will probably go to the event on 4th April & try to take some pictures of them in the woods, if I can't make it for any reason I will ask someone to take pictures for me.
easter egg 600.jpg
3/4 of the way there, will cut the rest when the extra material turns up :lol: :lol:

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard

Post by Savannahdan »

What a fun project! The kids will remember those for a long time.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

That is quite a lot of eggs, Martin!

Did you have to sand off tabs on each of them?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

mtylerfl wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:35 am
That is quite a lot of eggs, Martin!

Did you have to sand off tabs on each of them?
I did Michael, didn't take to long though, I cut these using a 3mm compression bit, I could easily have cut them in one pass but I opted for 2 toolpaths, first one cut almost all the way through but left an onion skin. Second was at a slightly slower feed rate. I found by doing it that way I was able to leave very small tabs with no fear of any of the eggs comming lose while cutting.
A while ago I bought myself an oscillating bobbin sander so it only took a few seconds per egg to run round the outside & remove the tabs. while one lot was cutting on the machine I was removing the tabs from another lot :lol: :lol: :lol:

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I like your method you described, leaving the onion skin with the compression bit first pass, then second pass with thin tabs. That’s something I’ll need to try myself!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Quick update seeing as it's this Sunday the eggs & now Bunnies will be out :lol: :lol:

So having done just over 800 eggs I was asked if I could cut another half sheet of eggs (46) as a couple of the schools were short. Also got asked if I could cut a few Bunnies but at a slightly bigger size than was planned when we were going to do half eggs & half Bunnies for Schools.
The Bunnies were about 2 foot tall & I engraved a little bit of detail rather than just the outline shape as I thought it might help those that were painting them. Bunnies were painted by a few Adults who help Derek out with Fairy Wood.

I have to point out that I DID NOT paint any of the Bunnies, unfortunately painting is not one of the skills I have :oops: :oops:

This was the last lot I cut, some of the last batch of eggs & some of the Bunnies, one lot of Bunnies had already gone for painting.

Hopefully I will be well enough to go & take some pictures once they are all put out in Fairy Wood.
Easter rabbit & eggs.jpg
bunnies1.jpg
bunnies2.jpg
bunnies3.jpg
bunnies4.jpg