#D carving Artifacts

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Re: #D carving Artifacts

Post by mickecarlsson »

I did a large job once and it was a cheap bullnose that actually got worn during the cut and produced nearly the same result.
Or you are losing steps in Z

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I would upload the file but I keep getting " file is too large."
If the file is too large to upload here you can use a file sharing site such as drive.google.com, onedrive.com, or dropbox.com. They all have free accounts available
  • Upload the file to the file sharing site
  • Make the link shareable
  • Share the link to the file here
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I did this using a v-carve toolpath with multiple clearing tools.
Attachments
Fielding.crv3d
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
Fielding.png
Steve

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

tuffduck wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:53 pm
The part was screwed down, so it didn't move. .....
Famous last words.

You can screw a part down at all four corners. Nice and tight.

Then start cutting.

Stresses start getting relieved and the material may bow upwards or downwards. Downwards is ok since it is trying to bow into the spoil board.

I know we all just hate this because we are all in a big flapping hurry all the time. But when cutting out pockets removing a lot of material it pays to do a rough pass and then a finish pass. Even if the material does not move doing it that way usually results in a better finish. But yea, I get it, we live in a universe in which there is no flex in machines, spindles, cutters, material so things should just darned well be perfect and fast.

BTW, what are doing pocketing with a ballnose bit anyhow? You darn right you are going to get ridges. They are actually called "cusps" btw.

If you want that radiused edge around the inside bottom of the pocket then you need to run the pocket undersize and do a profile pass with a ballnose. You are liable to get a ridge doing that too unless you can set your tools very precisely.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

TReischl wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 pm
If you want that radiused edge around the inside bottom of the pocket then you need to run the pocket undersize and do a profile pass with a ballnose. You are liable to get a ridge doing that too unless you can set your tools very precisely.
With version 10.5, you can select the full size outline vector and use a ball nose to finish after using an end mill to clear. Just enter both in the tool list for the pocket. The clearance tool (end mill) will automatically stay clear of the ball nose radius.
ball nose pocket.jpg
However, if you have raised surfaces in the center, they, too, will have a radiused edge, and TReischi's method must be used if you want sharp edges.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

tuffduck wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:09 am
I have run a 3D carving program and where Aspire seems to randomly start and stop new sections I wound up with something very odd looking.
Perhaps a recapitulation—tuffduck is...
  • quite probably using a 3D Finishing toolpath (the "3D carving program" alluded to above) because the textured field's bottom is just that—textured and not flat
  • using a ball end bit because of the 3D Finishing toolpath
tuffduck: Aspire isn't really randomly starting and stopping if this is a 3D Finishing toolpath. If the lettering and diamonds weren't there then Aspire would most likely only need one start and one stop. With the letters and diamond present when the 3D Finishing toolpath completes an enclosed area it moves onto another.

TReischl's comments about rough and fine finish toolpaths for a Pocket toolpath can be applied here. You could create three toolpaths:
  1. 3D Roughing toolpath using the "3D Raster along Y" Roughing Strategy with a machine allowance of, say, 0.01 inches. Preferably use a square end bit but a ball end will work in a pinch. The step over can be generous (say 0.0625" or so). This will "release tensions" in the material.
  2. 3D Finishing toolpath. Personally I'd probably use the "Raster" Area Machine Strategy with a 90 degree angle so that router carriage primarily moves along the gantry rather than having the gantry move back and forth with each pass (hence the along Y in Roughing).
  3. Profile toolpath around the inside of the textured field's border to just above the texture to clean up the cusps on the vertical wall left by the 3D Finishing raster path