File Time

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

File Time

Post by JoeBlow »

I am wondering if there is a way in Aspire or perhaps Windows that I can see the cumulative time spent within a file? I ask for estimating reasons. Fairly straight forward to set the cost of milling, assembling and installing custom work but without actually keeping a timesheet of sorts during the design and file creation I am at a loss on how to charge for the hours spent doing that part of the job.

Thanks for any guidance with this.
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: File Time

Post by gkas »

JoeBlow wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:25 am
I am wondering if there is a way in Aspire or perhaps Windows that I can see the cumulative time spent within a file? I ask for estimating reasons. Fairly straight forward to set the cost of milling, assembling and installing custom work but without actually keeping a timesheet of sorts during the design and file creation I am at a loss on how to charge for the hours spent doing that part of the job.

Thanks for any guidance with this.
If you change the Scale Factor on completed jobs, the estimate will be much more accurate.
Toolpath Summary.JPG

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Here are some time tracking software products:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timeca ... -time/amp/
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

the cumulative time spent within a file
You can use the Increment and Save <Ctrl><Alt><S> at the beginning of each session then that file will have the timestamp of when you started. You can use increment and save as often as you want. When you finally do the increment and save for the last time the final file will have the date/timestamp of when your design session ended.
<End time>-<Start time> = Duration of the design session
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JoeBlow »

Thanks for those suggestions. I do increment and save frequently and will give that a try. Nice tip.

I think between the apps suggested and the increment and save tip I should be able to get close to the cumulative time spent.
Not quite the built-in John Deere timer I was hoping for but will help :)

Thanks Gkas. I have that part really well dialed in.
Patrick

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

Windows shows the time when you first create the file and the time that it was last modified. In windows explorer, just right click your
Aspire file and choose properties. The downside is that windows, just like Aspire's increment and save, does not know that you took off a few hours for lunch. :D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I just use old fashioned methods. I write down the time I start and the time I finish. I keep timesheets for every job so I can improve quoting for future orders.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

If you are running WinCNC you have the ability to create a log file of every job you run. In the WinCNC.ini file you set a command, logdir=c:\wincnc\log, and this will create a CSV file that will have the times associated with every job you run, from hitting start to the very end. It breaks down each segment of the job, ie, bit changes, etc and gives the time associated with them. Its a very nice feature for looking at the total time associated with a job.
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Seems to be some confusion about what the OP was asking. He inquired about keeping track of the time spent working in the software itself (design time, etc.), not the job running time.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

After rereading the original post, I believe you are correct Michael. Reading comprehension was never a strong point of mine :D
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JoeBlow »

mtylerfl wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:13 am
Seems to be some confusion about what the OP was asking. He inquired about keeping track of the time spent working in the software itself (design time, etc.), not the job running time.
That is correct. A client has become somewhat of a problem child. I work full time and take on select jobs on the side. Two and half months, 7 folders, 46 files, 866 mb of data and 3 samples later I just might actually have final approval this week to start "working". Uhg again! I would have walked away some time ago but this couple is tight with the owner of my day job company. Oh the webs we get into.

Struck me when I saw the stats mentioned that it would have been most telling to see the time spent in those 7 folders, 46 files, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions. More than likely I will go Adriens route and just add that to the actual "working" time. A walnut fireplace surround in case anyone was wondering.
Patrick

PRO4824
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO4824

Post by PRO4824 »

I was, and post a picture of it when it's done 👍
Isaiah 41-10