How to search the manual

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

How to search the manual

Post by Wayne Locke »

How can I search help and/or the manual? I can access both but can never find a search function.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: WHowe to search the manual

Post by Adrian »

The Help is display in your default Internet browser so you use the search function in that. Ctrl-F works in most. To be able to search everything you need have selected Single Page at the top of the Help.

Generally I find it quicker and easier to use the interactive features. You can click on any part of the screen layouts shown in the Help and it will take you straight to that section. The left hand menu will also take you straight to sections as well.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

<Ctrl-F> invokes the search function.

It is best to put it into Single-page view to search the entire manual.
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 12.13.36 PM.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Wayne Locke »

Specifically I was looking for some specific info on text spacing/kerning. I have cussed and screamed my way past my immediate need but this has always frustrated me. I have scrolled down the page that Randall posted before and if I am looking for something listed in the table of contents — great. If not — nothing. Find text spacing or kerning on that page.

Since text spacing does not bring up a tool window in the side bar "?" doesn't work. I have searched in the browser with some success. I am not a programmer but it seems a search function in the help window or page would be great.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Click on the Text Spacing/Kerning tool (3rd icon, 3rd row under Create Vectors) on the picture on the first page of the Help and it will take you straight to that section.

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Wayne Locke »

Thanks Adrian and Randall. Clicking the icon worked. I have yet to adapt to not having a manual my lap.

MikeSibley
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro 4896 Rotary Axis

Post by MikeSibley »

I just don't do well with computer based manuals. Is there a printed version for sale somewhere?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You can print out the single page view from the browser which will give you all the pages in one go but it will take a lot of paper. You could also print to a PDF and then send that to a printing firm.

Don't give up on the interactive version though. I used to be a die hard manual person even sending software back if it didn't come with a printed manual but these days I can't remember the last time I looked at a manual. Nowadays I find browser based help easier (especially when it's interactive as Vectrics is) and it's always up to date with the version you're using.

MikeSibley
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro 4896 Rotary Axis

Post by MikeSibley »

I guess I am just old school. Maybe it's easier on my eyes to read a manual. I am trying to start at zero and get up to speed.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Adrian is correct about the interactive version. But if you don't have internet access on your shop computer and want to be able to have the manual do the Single Page click and then when it converts you'll find PDF at the bottom of the page. Right click on it and save it on a thumb drive and take that to load on your shop computer. Either way it's a lot easier to search (FIND on this page or document) what information you may need than printing 300 plus pages and then fumbling through those. Hope this helps.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Savannahdan wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:23 pm
But if you don't have internet access on your shop computer
It doesn't matter if you don't have internet access. The Help still works as a local copy is installed as part of the install. If there is internet access then the latest version is loaded from the 'net otherwise the local copy is loaded instead.