metric on the fly

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

metric on the fly

Post by Xxray »

Am trying to scale something with mm measurements, any easy way to switch between imperial and metric ?
Doug

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Re: metric on the fly

Post by ElevationCreations »

If you type in the value in the box , and multiply by i equals, the programs will calculate and convert

for example if you type in "19*i=", the program will calculate 0.748031"

and going from inches to metric is ".748031*m=" will calculate to 19mm

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Thanks for the reply, not working though, the create and ok boxes are greyed out with values like that
Doug

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Are you making sure you press the = after entering the formula? It's something I do multiple times a day and it works in every tool I use.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Would changing units in the Job Setup do the trick for you? That automatically recomputes for the same sizes in the other measurement system, although in principal there is a small rounding error.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Most things are simple once you know how to do them Adrian, I never had the need to measure/work in metric until now, not even once, so was out in the dark on this one.
I did notice the mm setup, thanks Joe, and set it up. I am trying to print out a template for a guitar part, problem now is its printing out tiny, though it seems set up right size in aspire. Tried the "scale design with job size" no joy, still tiny.
11Untitled.jpg
IMG_6203.jpg
Doug

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Export to PDF. Print from your PDF viewer without "Fit to Page" set?

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I don't seem to have an export to pdf option, perhaps a feature of a newer version than I am using
Doug

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can't print to scale from Aspire. You can make the print smaller or larger by zooming in and out in the 2D view and checking the results using Print Preview on the File menu.

Export to PDF is on the File menu under Export and is the last one one on the list. If you don't have that option then you could trying exporting with one of the other options such as EPS and using a 3rd party program to print from.

I wasn't being snarky with my previous post. Just pointing out that everywhere I've tried the formula it's worked so I was reassuring you that the option given by ElevationCreations was a valid one.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Xxray wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:20 am
... problem now is its printing out tiny, though it seems set up right size in aspire. Tried the "scale design with job size" no joy, still tiny.
By complete coincidence, I faced the same challenge yesterday. I'm using VCarve 10.512 and exported to PDF. My first try was also tiny. So what I ended up doing after several variations was scaling the VCarve document to something like 1000x1000 mm then saving that as PDF. Since it's all vectors in VCarve, scaling isn't an issue. Then I imported into the target program, Affinity Photo in this case, and down-scaled it there to what I needed. Once in Affinity Photo is it of course a bitmap, which scales down fine but becomes a pixelated mess if you scale up. By scaling as a vector all the scaling issues went away. If you add a scale to the image you should be able to scale it for an exact print size in the target program.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Xxray wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:41 am
I don't seem to have an export to pdf option, perhaps a feature of a newer version than I am using
Xxray: You might be able to print to PDF at 1:1 scale bypassing the stock page sizes see: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29061&p=209869&hili ... df#p209869