Document Variables? What can be controlled?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra & StingerI

Document Variables? What can be controlled?

Post by pknvectric »

I've finally learned to use DV for cutting depth but I thought "wouldn't it be nice if I could set a feedrate as a variable" but apparently this doesn't work or I'm doing it wrong.?

I created a variable and then tried to reference it in my toolpath (under the tool EDIT settings) but it simply ignores my variable and reverts to the last number I'd used...

I also tried permanently setting this variable in the Tool Database but this didn't work either. Is it possible?

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Re: Document Variables? What can be controlled?

Post by wb9tpg »

I tried to do that with "Power" in the laser module and it doesn't work there either.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Remember that document variables are local to a specific project file. Whereas the tool database is global to all project files. You can type variable name as part of an equation into an RPM or POWER field then press = ( e.g. {myvar}/2= ) to evaluate it to a number but you can’t just type in {myvar} and expect that to be available for the next project as it won’t exist in that project.

Should Vectric implement global variables? Perhaps, but having global variables in any programming-like situation is just asking for disaster.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What reason do you want a variable for feed rate for? With templates, tool inheritance, toolpath overrides etc I can't think of a reason for it that isn't already covered.

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra & StingerI

Post by pknvectric »

When I'm testing a new toolpath I simply want to be sure I don't drive the tool into the table (or more likely I'm trying to be certain I get exactly the right depth / offset to get a desired round over, etc.). So, I'll run the TAP at 100% until it gets close to the material and then slow it down to 5-20%. Then speed it up. And then I'll frequently realize I can bump it up to 150-200% speed without trouble.

Perhaps there is a better way that I'm simply unaware of...?

I'll have to read about Tool Inheritance and Toolpath Overrides as I'm not familiar with either...

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I wanted it so I can quickly transfer a laser pattern from one wood to a different species. Many of them have a dozen tool paths with different feed rates to control darkness. I would love to alter power level with a variable and then recompile all tool paths
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA