Toolpath Preview Thickness Report

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
martindg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-50 Woodworker

Re: Toolpath Preview Thickness Report

Post by martindg »

Thanks, Steve and Mohammed. I'm pretty sure it is a Parallels issue. I did the trick to configure the keyboard emulation to optimize for games and what I found was that I can initiate the Thickness report by holding down the Control key and then tap the Function key. Weird but I guess it seems to work. Anyway, like I said not always necessary but a really useful function when you need it

PawPrints
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom

Post by PawPrints »

I haven't seen any new post on this subject. I was able to get the thickness to display while holding down the Control key but can not get it to do it again. I am using Desktop on a 2 sided project running Parallel on a Mac. Doesn't make any difference what the Z-zero is set to. I have tried all combinations and can't get it to repeat what I once was able to do. No changes in versions. Go figure!

CANCEL PREVIOUS TRANSMISSION. Holding down the Control key and tapping the function key once but keeping the control key depressed while moving the mouse does show the thickness. But then, this is September 1, 2021 at 3:14 pm pst. It could change. :D

BrooksM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 SR-24, Shark SD110

Post by BrooksM »

Thank you for letting us know about this feature. :D :D

What a useful tool. I only wish it worked in "single sided" jobs.
I ask again how many of these undocumented features are embedded within the Vectric softwares (Aspire, V-Carve).
Searching the help context single page on "thickness" produced a lot hits, but nothing related to the toolpath preview with the CTLR key depressed.

Either way, like scottp55 says, I learned something today. Thank you!

Brooks

martindg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-50 Woodworker

Post by martindg »

I've started making some of my more complex 3D project double sided even if they will only be cut single-sided just so I can take advantage of this thickness feedback feature. I guess there might be a reason not to do that but it seems to be working for me.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

BrooksM wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:31 am
Thank you for letting us know about this feature. :D :D

What a useful tool. I only wish it worked in "single sided" jobs.
I ask again how many of these undocumented features are embedded within the Vectric softwares (Aspire, V-Carve).
It does work in single side jobs. Hover the mouse over any area of the preview and the status bar at the bottom of the screen will give you the depth of cut related to where the z-zero is set.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

To expand a bit on Adrian's post:

If that Z-zero is set to the machine bed (as I set it) the Z value is the thickness. If the Z-zero is set to the material surface the Z value is a negative number showing the depth below the surface. A little simple mental arithmetic can convert that to a thickness (keeps the mind agile).

PawPrints
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom

Post by PawPrints »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:22 pm
To expand a bit on Adrian's post:

If that Z-zero is set to the machine bed (as I set it) the Z value is the thickness. If the Z-zero is set to the material surface the Z value is a negative number showing the depth below the surface. A little simple mental arithmetic can convert that to a thickness (keeps the mind agile).
I gave up on "agile" and "multitask" at 70.