Update multiple instances of same object feature?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
andyl1000
Model of CNC Machine: Nomad 883Pro

Update multiple instances of same object feature?

Post by andyl1000 »

I need to change the size off ALL my pockets (in blue), but would like to only have to change one (and have the rest update).
Does Vcarve have a feature for this?
(Sketchup has components and AutoCad used blocks for this.)

Thanks!
Attachments
Mortises.JPG

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Update multiple instances of same object feature?

Post by FixitMike »

You can use the Transform--Set Selected Object Size tool to stretch or shrink the entire object in X and/or Y. This has to be done on each instance separately.
But otherwise, the answer is no.

What I would do if I wanted to replace the existing pockets with ones with different dimensions:
1. Put a small circle in the center of each existing pocket. Delete the pockets.
2. Draw an instance of the new pocket you want. Select and Copy it (Control C).
3. Paste as many copies as you need (Control V).
4.Make sure Geometry Snapping to Arc Centers is checked (F4).
5. Double click on a pasted copy, then click and drag (using the little square in the center) to the center of a small circle. Repeat as necessary.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Update multiple instances of same object feature?

Post by Adrian »

If it's only a small adjustment and you don't mind it adjusting in both dimensions then you can always use an offset in the toolpath to tweak the dimensions. That's generally the way I do it if it's only an adjustment of 0.5mm or so that is required.

For changing the vectors themselves I would create the new pocket. Copy/paste it (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V). Select an existing pocket while holding down the Shift key. Click the Centre on Last Object tool, delete the old pocket and repeat. Sounds like a lot of work but is far quicker to do than to say.

If it's a symmetrical job you can also do it by temporarily (if you don't set up jobs that anyway) setting the job XY datum to the centre, centring the job vectors and then using the Ctrl-Shift-H, Ctrl-Shift-V shortcut keys to make mirrored copies.