This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: Puzzle Joint Generator

Post by Tailmaker »

wilkigr wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:11 pm
........I was hoping to do this with my CNC router. It cannot work, though, since even the smallest mill that I have takes too much away from the pieces. When they are fit back together, the picture does not work....
Yes, it can....
I this app you can specifiy a spacing between the puzzle pieces so that each piece can be routed separately with an endmill (or no spacing if you have a laser or just want to print the pattern for a scroll saw). The one thing you cannot do with an end endmill is take a whole picture and cut that into puzzle pieces as you mention. But you can create a blank assembled from puzzle pieces and e.g. machine a 3d image into it. Or photo-vcarve or laser an image into the assembled pieces. A puzzled inlay would be a challenge but probably possible.

I made a 32-piece puzzle from 16mm maple and it came out quite nice for a first attempt (1/8" endmill and 1/8" ballnose). For such a low resolution toy it is surprisingly "puzzling", maybe due to the 3d-surface. I did machine it with too much negative allowance, though and it came out a bit loose.
IMG_E2469.JPG
I don't blame Vectric for their policy. As Adrian mentioned they would have to vet everytime someone posts a link for quality and if it is their business interest. I guess I had hoped my humble app would fly under the radar :roll:
Anyway, I will post it somewhere else. It was made for my own purpose and the post meant as a free community service.
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Your 3D puzzle is genius!

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Tailmaker wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:52 am
I made a 32-piece puzzle from 16mm maple ...
Oh, I LIKE that! Today's project is to do a test cut of an 8x10 piece in 3mm Baltic Birch. Now you have me aiming higher!
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

GREAT concept cut Tailmaker!! :)
Looks fantastic!!

A little too much allowance??
That's what concept cuts are For! :) :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

wilkigr
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

That is an excellent puzzle, tailmaker. And, thanks for your advice.

wilkigr

Post by wilkigr »

I took your advice, Tailmaker, and did some very small test puzzles yesterday. After a couple of adjustments to the offset, I managed to get tight joints. I did a simple vectric 3D clipart carving onto the final test piece, and it came out very well.
Thank you.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

I learned (again) today that positive offset produces a totally different result from negative offset! Fortunately I thought to check a couple of pieces for fit before the whole 4 hour job ran. Amazing what a missing negative sign can do!

So now my wife is getting a puzzle half the planned size. And some spare pieces that are sure to frustrate and confuse her!
Puzzle1.jpg
Puzzle2.jpg
Puzzle3.jpg
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

:)
Sorry Joe....but you gave me the first laugh of the day!:)
Learned a while ago that for some reason, I was losing the 50/50 odds...
NOW I Always use the 2D preview and shaded preview(IF I don't forget:)
My personal gremlin nowadays is that pesky decimal point!! :oops:

NICE final cut!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

ThomasScott
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Nebula

Post by ThomasScott »

Curious as to what offsets you guys are using? Was just gonna profile outside each piece 1/4 EM, hope for the best. Got a ton of Corian on hand and was going to do some test puzzle coasters to start with. Would guess I will just have to play around with offsets to see what fits the best ? Hate to waste the corian, somewhat pricey . Thanks again Tailmaker!

Scott

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

ThomasScott wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:29 am
Curious as to what offsets you guys are using? Was just gonna profile outside each piece 1/4 EM, hope for the best. Got a ton of Corian on hand and was going to do some test puzzle coasters to start with. Would guess I will just have to play around with offsets to see what fits the best ? Hate to waste the corian, somewhat pricey . Thanks again Tailmaker!

Scott
I would try with a small 3x3 puzzle to check the fit. The -0.02" that I tried with the earlier posted 3d puzzle in maple was way too much but I guess it will depend on the rigidity of your machine, the feed rate, the depth of cut etc. In any case I suggest using a "conventional" direction with wood. Not sure about Corian, though.
The 1/4" bit you want to use should not be an issue, unlike an 1/8" bit the bit flex is probably insignificant.
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

ThomasScott wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:29 am
Curious as to what offsets you guys are using?
I did a series of test cuts on a single piece of 3mm Baltic Birch. For that material, using a 1/8" endmill, -0.1mm worked best. Today I did a run on 1" Walnut. Here I thought I'd increase it to -0.12 mm because of the greater thickness. That was a mistake - the joints are loose. I'm guessing that for this job -0.05 might make a tight joint without binding.
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

Did a joint yesterday Thank you Tailmaker.
Material spotted gum 30mm thick using 0.25 EM with 0 allowance
47006255-28DE-4B9F-B535-78E1B80541E4.jpeg
Ron
Crafers Crafts

wilkigr

Post by wilkigr »

This is my first "successful" puzzle. I did it for my friend's children.

It is 25 pieces and measures 10" x 10". It's cut from 1/4" MDF using a 1/8" downcut for the first 1/8", then a 1/8" upcut to finish the profile cut. I don't have any compression bits, so this is a viable cheat. The two paths make for clean cuts top and bottom and require no sanding.

The offset on this one is -.003". It's a bit loose, but for children, I thought it was the way to go. I had successful tests at -.0025.

I have been unsuccessfully experimenting with image transfer, but so far, the media that I use glue the puzzle together. This one is just a laser image using a diode laser.
before.jpg
after.jpg

dmayne
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO60120

Post by dmayne »

I love this idea! That 3D puzzle looks so good.

How do I get this? I see the download link is nonfunctional. Tailmaker?!? Can I get some puzzle love?

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

dmayne wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:34 pm
I love this idea! That 3D puzzle looks so good.

How do I get this? I see the download link is nonfunctional. Tailmaker?!? Can I get some puzzle love?
Check my signature for a link. I was told by the forum administrator this is O.K. (since no direct download link)
Thanks to Joe Federer (a.k.a. jfederer) for setting up the web page.
FWIW, this is the latest beta version with some improvements.