Corian

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Corian

Post by Stephen50 »

I have 1/2 inch corian and am looking for advice to reduce the thickness to 1/4 inch.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Corian

Post by Phil »

A lot depends on how large of a piece of Corian you are dealing with. I have made lithophanes, which are not very large, by clamping a blank a little larger than the final product and using a 3/4" end mill bit to reduce the thickness only in the area of the final lithophane.

Phil

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Depends on the size & what other equipment you have available, not sure who, may have been either Xxray or Carveone use to resaw it on the bandsaw rather than waste it by milling away to reduce the thickness. :lol: :lol:

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

While you can work Corian and other solid surface material with regular woodworking tools, it's messy, smelly and does a number on cutters. If you truly need to reduce the thickness of your material to half what it is, a spoilboard cutter on the CNC bed is as good as any method. But honestly, just obtaining .25" thickness solid surface material is ultimately a better choice.

The stuff is wonderful to cut and work with on the CNC, BTW...I have used it for signs, restaurant table fixtures, ornaments, picture frames, etc.

Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Post by Stephen50 »

Where I reside (Alaska) the cost of shipping 1/4 inch corian is cost prohibitive that's why I'm sourcing for 1/2 inch no one stocks 1/4". The owner of an existing piece 1/2" x 2' x 8' is presently looking to reduce his inventory, I informed him I would assist him in reducing that inventory. No projects are currently on the drawing board however, if an opportunity presents itself I'll take it. I currently operate a Showboat Desktop 18" x 24" which meets my requirements thereby limiting the size I'm able to work with.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

...Showboat desktop... :D

Don’t you luv auto spell correct? :D
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Yes I have sliced .50 corian with a bandsaw and yes it works, and yes it is messy and your saw has to be dialed in perfect for good results, also must have a premium, sharp blade..
I think I planed it too and that also works and is also very messy, and you have to take tiny little bites or things go south quick.

Really no way around it, its not a process to look forward to or want to do on a regular basis - If by chance you are looking to make lithos, just use it as .5 results will be the same, then cut off the edges if necessary. I hate to see any wastage but no matter what, you will be wasting some to make 2 out of 1.
Doug

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Resawing the .5" material is also going ro result in something less than .25" thickness for the two split pieces once they are surfaced clean. I find that Corian is "dead on" with thickness so the band kerf will come out of the material thickness noticeably. Of course, the piece sliced off could be sacrificial so that the other piece could be thicker and then easily surfaced to .5".

OP, bummer you can't get the .25" material in your geography. It's limited in colors elsewhere, anyway, but at least available.