Best 1/4" 90 degree V-groove bit?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Olle
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna MCNCIQ

Best 1/4" 90 degree V-groove bit?

Post by Olle »

This is not related to Aspire, but I figured this was the place to get some good input: I have used Onsrud 37-51 for many years to cut the checkering on my gun grips, but the price has almost doubled in the past two years so I'm looking for alternatives. Today I tried Amana Tool 45626-K SC (with the "Spektra" coating), it seems to do the job just as well but is still pretty pricey. I also ordered an Amana Tool 45625 to see what it can do.

I have tried a few of the cheap imports, but they made a pretty fuzzy cut and sometimes they knocked the tips off of the "checkering diamonds", so they were pretty much useless. I need something that makes a very clean cut and stays sharp for a long time, so do you guys have any recommendations? The Onsrud bits used to be about $20-$25, so I was hoping to find something in that price range.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Re: Best 1/4" 90 degree V-groove bit?

Post by wb9tpg »

Amana Tool 51692 s great. Four flutes cut like butter and you can up the feed rates. It's my go-to 90 degree bit
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

For bits that are available outside of the UK the CMT laser brand ones have always worked well for me. My everyday bits are three flute 60 and 90 degree ones but that supplier only sells in the UK.

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

wb9tpg wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:41 am
Amana Tool 51692 s great. Four flutes cut like butter and you can up the feed rates. It's my go-to 90 degree bit
Thanks! On order 8) The Amana 3-flute I just tried seemed to do quite well, so I'm hoping that a 4-flute will be even better.
Adrian wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:44 am
For bits that are available outside of the UK the CMT laser brand ones have always worked well for me. My everyday bits are three flute 60 and 90 degree ones but that supplier only sells in the UK.
I have had good luck with CMT, but I'm not sure if they carry a bit that will work for this purpose. The cut depth is 25-35/1000" (depending on line spacing), and the brazed bits don't seem to do as well as 1/4" solid carbide. I guess I'm in the grey area between V-groove cutting and engraving.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Looks like they don't make a 90 in the style I used to buy anymore as I can't find a listing but they were the same style as the 60's which aren't brazed. They are machined from solid.

https://www.scosarg.com/cmt-858-laser-p ... -12-7-d-13

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

c1nel1

Post by c1nel1 »

Try these guys, american made and free shipping.
https://www.carbidetoolsource.com/wood- ... router-bit

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:16 pm
Look at Centurion Tools
Tried to order one, but got stuck in the checkout process. I'll try again later.
c1nel1 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:39 pm
Try these guys, american made and free shipping.
https://www.carbidetoolsource.com/wood- ... router-bit
$10 sounds almost too cheap (they didn't even charge shipping!), so that one will be interesting to try.

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

I haven't had time to try them all, but after running a batch of gun grips I can tell that Amana Tool 45626-K SC does a very good job. I got the 4-flute Amana bit wb9tpg recommended, but it's a split tip where only two flutes go all the way to the tip. That will basically make it a 2-flute at the cut depths I'm working with, so this bit will be used for other types of V-cuts. I still need to try the 2-flute from carbidetoolsource.com, it will be interesting to see what a $10 bit will do.

Uncle Bob
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3x5 ATC

Post by Uncle Bob »

Try PreciseBits: https://www.precisebits.com/products/ca ... p&filter=7

High quality, great customer service, good prices.