Sizing Question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Sizing Question

Post by Holzarbeiter »

I need some advice from the experts....

I want to make an enlarged version of Michael Tyler's Bling Box. Is the process as simple as taking each individual file for the parts and
setting the new size while making sure the box "Scale Design with Job Size" is checked, or is there another more efficient way to
do this? Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Sizing Question

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Joe,

You could do it that way, but be aware that each part on each project layout must be enlarged by the exact same amount (percentage).

Also, the modeled components will increase in thickness and you may need to manually adjust that to accommodate your material thickness.

There is potential for “pilot error”, so drink your coffee before going at it. :D

I think the “safest” method would be to create a big project layout where all parts/vectors/components can be copy/pasted. Then, do your enlargement for everything all at once via the Job Size/Scaling turned on.

After that, manually adjust the models to an appropriate thickness for your material, then copy/paste the parts into new project layouts and make new Toolpaths, etc.

...or, make duplicates of each of the original layouts, select everything in each layout, go into the resize tool (Set selected objects size) and type in an appropriate percentage enlargement. In this case, you can turn OFF the Z scaling if you want to keep the models’ original thickness intact.

Advantage of this method is you don’t need to re-create new Toolpaths. Just recalculate them. (Your job size will need to be increased, but don’t turn on the scaling in this scenario.)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Michael,
Thank you so much for the valuable advice. And I NEVER even approach my cnc before 2 cups of coffee, minimum :D

The reason I wanted to enlarge your project was for another dear friend who passed away. I want to make his daughter a memorial urn, so to speak. The original size is too small to hold all the ashes. But as luck would have (I guess its luck) I now need to make three so his daughter and two sisters can can each have a remembrance of their loved one. Problem solved, albeit with a bit more work!

I want to thank you again for the beautifully designed project and your willingness to share your talents. You are a blessing indeed!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Joe,

Please accept my condolences for the passing of your good friend. It’s very thoughtful of you to provide the remembrance boxes for his daughter and sisters. It’s a beautiful contribution from you that I’m sure they will treasure.

Thank you for your kind words for me today, also. I certainly feel blessed.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC