Failed to connect to tool database

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Elite 4 X 4

Failed to connect to tool database

Post by rwebcon »

I some how in trying to add a tool disconnected from the tool data base. Every time I try and access the tool data base I get the popup
"Failed to connect to tool database" Anyone know how to fix this and get connected? I have looks everywhere to fine an answer!

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Failed to connect to tool database

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Try reinstalling Aspire.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

Could you post the log files please? Perhaps you have another instance running that's locking something up so maybe try restarting.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

rwebcon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Elite 4 X 4

Post by rwebcon »

I did reinstall from 10502 to 10503 and its working.....
Thanks for your help.

PunGent333
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by PunGent333 »

I realize that this is an old thread, but it was the exact problem I had with Vcarve (v. 11.506). After entering a new tool and saving it, the next time I went to access the database, I had the error message. I tried numerous things to get it back (reloading, restarting Windows, etc) and nothing worked. Then this thread lead me to the application files directory. And in there, I found a backup folder with old versions of my tool database.

I was able to delete the tools.vtdb in the C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V11.5\ToolDatabase folder and paste in my most recent backup. I renamed the file to tools.vtdb (the backups have a date in the name) and restarted VCarve. Everything worked fine. It did notify me that my database was out of date. The first time I tried this, I downloaded the "newer" server version, but that was also apparently corrupt because I had the same database problem after that. So after redoing the process, I told it I did not want to update. I then made a few edits to add my new tool, saved it, and then uploaded to the server.

This process actually took me a bit longer because the first time I reentered the new tool, it got corrupted again. To troubleshoot, I was incrementally saving entries on the new tool and then reloading to see what was corrupting it. As best I can guess, it had to do with the autocalculation of a 25/64th bit. It calculated to more than four decimal places. If I didn't autocalculate and just typed in 0.3906, everything was fine.

Bottom line - if you can't connect to your tool database, try deleting the old one and copying over a backup that VCarve so kindly keeps for you. It's much easier than reinstalling the entire software.