10.5 and xp

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: 10.5 and xp

Post by TReischl »

Windows XP was released Aug 24, 2001.

It was officially retired April 8, 2014.

Windows 10 was released July 29, 2015.

Just to put some perspective on all this.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Post by sawmiller »

No question i have a old computer running my cnc.
Been working on migration to windows 10.
Turns out win 10 64 bit, isnt good for mach3, no parallel port support.
So now I'm going down the rabbit hole of maybe changing to a uc300eth and uccnc software, or another, or just not having aspire on my shop computer
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

wcarrothers
Vectric Wizard

Post by wcarrothers »

There are 2 errors.. 10.502 gave the the procedure entry point IntializeCriticalSectionEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL.32.dll

then 10.5.03 gives an error with bcrypt.dll

Support did get back with me that V10 shoulden't or wasn't to work with xp anyway (although it does)

I can confirm (and they said it would) work with vista and 7 (and far as I know those are end of life)..

not sure it is correct to criticize anyone for keeping a legacy machine going if we want to. My controller machines are isolated. I would isolate a current operating system machine (if it were operating a CNC machine) as well. This is for safety. To me it is just not safe to operate a machine like these and alow to go off and update it self and possibly introduce some unknown behavior.

Either way it comes down to their user base. I'm sure they are aware of how many people are stuck with legacy computers Eventually they will calculate a breaking point Where they have to cut them loose in order to add one feature or another.

If that happens to be now I guess that is fine. (although I would love to have that updated trim feature..haha)

Vectric has been good to all of us far as support goes. None of us should really complain.

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

I get the same alarm but only this one "then 10.5.03 gives an error with bcrypt.dll"
I found the file on the net and copied over to the aspire directory but that just caused a second
alarm
aspire has worked in xp 32 bit right up till now
My cnc machine(2007) is on a parallel port and will only work with a desktop and a stand alone parallel port card
i installed .(also mach3)
Works fine no internet connection, runs excellent.
Why change it and if i do it would have to be windows 7, i even have a spare computer ready on standby.
so if this is the end of updates for aspire , then thats it, be a few work arounds and that s OK

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard

Post by sawmiller »

I'm not complaining about aspire, just a hey this is happening kind of post.
In the heart of Tn

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

You can buy a new PC with Windows 10 for $150, that will have 50x the power of these old XP machines.

But everyone wants to keep running there $2000 software and $5000 machines with a 15 year old paperweight... :?:
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

I would not get hopes up for XP support. Aside from security things, Microsoft has made a lot of changes within Windows since XP and with the "libraries" that application developers use to create and maintain their software. When development tools don't work on an OS anymore...there's little that can be done to support old-old OS releases.

larrybadgett
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by larrybadgett »

ger21 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:42 pm
You can buy a new PC with Windows 10 for $150, that will have 50x the power of these old XP machines.

But everyone wants to keep running there $2000 software and $5000 machines with a 15 year old paperweight... :?:
A new computer is the very least of the cost. The machine is more like $30K and the control system more like $5K. Not the toys your talking about.
Woodchip
Wud Bi Tek
http://wudbitek.com/

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

We actually have a $150,000 router at work running XP. But we don't try to run any modern software on it. :D
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi All,

Just so you know, we are looking at a fix for the XP issue. As Jim_in_PA suggests updates to third party libraries means that it is becoming an ever trickier task to maintain compatibility, and when some of those give up then we might have to give up too, but in the until then we are working on it and we hope that we have some good news soon.

Thanks,
Adam

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

sawmiller wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:21 am
No question i have a old computer running my cnc.
Been working on migration to windows 10.
Turns out win 10 64 bit, isnt good for mach3, no parallel port support.
So now I'm going down the rabbit hole of maybe changing to a uc300eth and uccnc software, or another, or just not having aspire on my shop computer
You only really need to change the controller, UC300ETH will run with mach3 & Ted has already said that mach3 will run under windows 10. The UCCNC software isn't expensive though so would be best changing to that I would think as it's still supported & being developed. You can import your mach3 settings into the UCCNC software so changing from mach3 is pretty painless :lol: :lol:

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard

Post by sawmiller »

You only really need to change the controller, UC300ETH will run with mach3 & Ted has already said that mach3 will run under windows 10. The UCCNC software isn't expensive though so would be best changing to that I would think as it's still supported & being developed. You can import your mach3 settings into the UCCNC software so changing from mach3 is pretty painless :lol: :lol:

yup martin, i think thats what im going to do...it just takes a bit to get the money up to do it, and it will give me more flexibilty in locating my computer farther from my cnc.

thanks to vectric for looking into this, a fix will give me more time.
In the heart of Tn

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

For you folks on Mach3, consider that it's been kinda toast since something like 2012 and Mach4 is another option to help you transition to a more modern system in some cases if you prefer to stay in the Mach world. Yes, there may be some hardware changes required to support that move, too. All this stuff moves on over time. and "Internet years" move faster than anything. It's nice that Adam says they are looking for a solution for the XP thing, but even if they find one, it may still be a support challenge. That's the nature of the software world.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

sawmiller wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:58 am

yup martin, i think thats what im going to do...it just takes a bit to get the money up to do it, and it will give me more flexibilty in locating my computer farther from my cnc.

thanks to vectric for looking into this, a fix will give me more time.
If money is an issue then another option might be the UC100 which is cheaper & plugs into a parallel port, don't know much about them but it would also work with mach3 & is cheaper than the UC300ETH. Personally I have 2 UC400ETH controllers for my machines & use the UCCNC software, bit of a pain having to buy 2 different licences but that is the way most motion control companies seem to be going. :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Jim_in_PA wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:45 pm
For you folks on Mach3, consider that it's been kinda toast since something like 2012......
Curious where you get the idea that it is "toast"? My "toast" has been running for over 13 years now and transitioned through several upgrades to Windows, including 10. It runs the machine just fine. Is it the latest/greatest? Nope. Considering that Newfangled Solutions is still actively selling Mach 3 I think your announcement of "toast" is premature at best.

The real issue with Mach3 has always been the parallel port deal. Fact is, a parallel port is NOT needed. I plugged a Smooth Stepper in years and years ago and have not needed a parallel port. Mine runs on the USB port with no issues. I might like the Ethernet version of Smooth Stepper better though.

I never liked Mach3's interface, tired, ugly, not very friendly. That was solved by sending a $20 bill to Ger21 for his most excellent Screen Set 2010.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns