Thread Cutting Toolpath

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Thread Cutting Toolpath

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I watched the "What's New in 10.5" video and I am absolutely intrigued by the thread cutting toolpath. The video refers to the "Documentation" to learn more about this toolpath but I can't find it anywhere. Where can I find more info and maybe a video?
Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Re: Thread Cutting Toolpath

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Never mind. I found the video.
Steve

sehast
Model of CNC Machine: Custom Built CNC Router

Post by sehast »

Does anyone know of a online supplier who has a good selection of Thread Milling bits (both single and multiple)?

ThomasScott
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Nebula

Post by ThomasScott »

Steve, I too would like to play around with the thread milling options. I looked online and couldn't find any bits
available. But I don't know anything about these either. The one Vectric shows in the video on their latest twitter
thread milling video looks perfect but where to buy? Seems like 60 degree is common, i would need 1/4" shank , and single cut for now . Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks for any help

Scott

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

I have been using a Magnate thread cutting bit occasionally. It was possible with Vcarve/Aspire before but required complicated spreadsheet math to calculate the tool path parameters.
Now with the new threading toolpath this becomes so much easier and I am working on a new project design with threaded connectors to try it out.
The Magnate bit I am using has a 90-degree tip angle which is IMO better suited for wood than the 60 degree bits intended for metal. The thread cross-section has a lower aspect ratio and is much sturdier and more resistant to stripping/chipping.
My preferred bit is similar to the Magnate 796. However, it is not 5/8" diameter but rather 7/16". I can not find it in the catalog anymore, but even the #796 would work fine for threads larger than 3/4" or 19mm. These bits are about $19 each.

Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

ThomasScott
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Nebula

Post by ThomasScott »

Tailmaker, Thanks for the response!. Seems to be a hard bit to track down. On Magnate's site the 796 lists it as a 5/8 diameter, not the case for you ? . Total rookie on thread mill bits, but would probably order 1 to test out, who knows. For 18 bucks worth a shot, Gonna have to research thread milling.

Thanks again , Scott
Attachments
Magnate 796.png

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

ThomasScott wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:49 am
Tailmaker, Thanks for the response!. Seems to be a hard bit to track down. On Magnate's site the 796 lists it as a 5/8 diameter, not the case for you ? . Total rookie on thread mill bits, but would probably order 1 to test out, who knows. For 18 bucks worth a shot, Gonna have to research thread milling.

Thanks again , Scott
Yes, confusing. I bought that bit some 4 or 5 years ago and thought it was the #796 but the diameter is definitely not 5/8". So not sure what I bought but it has "Magnate" on the shank. Or maybe their catalog has the wrong spec. Anyway, either diameter is useable and I ordered another #796 bit to compare (or as a spare). With supposedly 50,000 parts in stock they should not run out anytime soon...
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Magnate actually has two bits. A part number 796 and a 753. They are both 90 degree but one has a 1/2" shank and the other has a 1/4" shank. The 753 is listed as a side cutting v-groove bit and I'm not sure if it could be used as a thread cutter.

Magnate 796 Thread Cutting Carbide Tipped Router Bit - 90 Degree; 3/8" Cutting Height; 1/4" Shank Diameter; 1-1/2" Shank Length; 5/8" Overall Diameter; 2 Flute $18.02 1 $18.02

Magnate 753 Side V-Grooving Carbide Tipped Router Bit - 90 Degree; 1/2" Cutting Height; 1/2" Shank Diameter; 5" Shank Length; 1-1/8" Overall Diameter; 2 Flute $34.32 1 $34.32
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Try searching for a single form thread mill, not sure where on your side of the pond you would be able to purchase one but some options do come up in a google search :lol: :lol:

meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by meflick »

It was shared on the Vectric Facebook page that this was the one used in their video:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/03196052

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:36 am
.......Magnate 753 Side V-Grooving Carbide Tipped Router Bit - 90 Degree; 1/2" Cutting Height; 1/2" Shank Diameter; 5" Shank Length; 1-1/8" Overall Diameter; 2 Flute..........
This bit would do a good job for large threads >1.5" or 2" like a threaded lid. But way too big for smaller threads. The 5" long shank is nice but needs a large-z machine.
meflick wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:42 am
It was shared on the Vectric Facebook page that this was the one used in their video:
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/03196052
That should work better but with 3/4" diameter it will still limit to threads over 1" diameter. The multiple flutes in HSS are made for non-ferrous metals at lower speeds. It will surely work in wood on a high speed spindle for a while.

I am also experimenting with chamfering bits for threading (like a v-bit with a cutting top edge). This would create an unsymmetrical tooth profile (like the threads sometimes used for plastics). I am not sure if that will work, though but it is fun to play with.

MiloScott
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by MiloScott »

I have used the Magnate side cutting 90 bits, and, the 60 degree bits. The 60 degree bits, with multiple flutes, burn easily, if you can't get the spindle slow enough, or, feedrate high enough.

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

I contacted Magnate about my old thread cutting bit and they could confirm in their system that I bought their number 796 thread cutting bit in 2015. And I bought a brand new one last week.

Low and behold, the two are not identical. Magnate guy mentioned that there may have been a design change without product number change. Anyway, while the new bit will work for most purposes I did like the old one better for smaller diameters and better long reach.
FWIW, while the new bit matches the spec in the online catalog, the catalog photo is rather like my old bit.
Old-New_MagnateBit.JPG

MAXJ
Model of CNC Machine: KRMx02

Post by MAXJ »