Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Re: Something NEW is COMING SOON - Tune in for our big reveal

Post by gregk »

wb9tpg wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 pm
Adrian wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:23 pm

It's no different to the way the software works now with all the code being created via the post processor.
Exactly! I modified my post processors to insert the code for the laser on and off into all my tool paths. That way I just select the correct post processor and go from there.

I did find a little hiccup with CNCjs where I need to put a "%wait" CNCjs command after the $32 settings. CNCjs will occasionally hang up if I don't do that.
That happens because $32=xxx command causes Grbl to store its settings in Non-volatile memory (EEPROM). A write to such memory on many micro controllers will basically disable normal processing until write is complete. Please see https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Grbl- ... rom-issues for more information.

Greg K

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

wb9tpg wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:13 pm
Adrian wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:23 pm
It's no different to the way the software works now with all the code being created via the post processor.
Exactly! I modified my post processors to insert the code for the laser on and off into all my tool paths. That way I just select the correct post processor and go from there.
Well, it is different than "now", because here we have to edit / create post processors to make the added equipment work. There should be something in this Laser Module that allows us to make these changes without having to resort to a new post.

I'm just trying to find out if this Laser Module is "plug-n-play" or not.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

Time will tell but I'm anxious to buy it and try it out.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:18 pm
Well, it is different than "now", because here we have to edit / create post processors to make the added equipment work. There should be something in this Laser Module that allows us to make these changes without having to resort to a new post.

I'm just trying to find out if this Laser Module is "plug-n-play" or not.
I think the thread has got mixed up with people talking at cross purposes. You originally said "Is this kind of capability to adjust to various machines going to be added as well?" which is what I replied to with the comment about it being the same as now with post processors.

I didn't mean that you set the post processor up from scratch to control a laser as some people are doing now. What I meant is that you can use the post processor in the same way as it's used now for "normal" CNC operations. Each machine/control software has it's own post processor so if you want to run a macro before turning the laser on (for example) you would put that in the post processor just as you do now if you want to turn on an extractor automatically (for example) before the spindle turns on.

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz High Z Machine German manufacture

Post by Soapyjoe »

Hi,
With all this discussion about the up and coming "Laser Toolpath" I am very interested to know members views on "Bolt-on lasers" .
I have a small, but quite substantial, German High Z CNC machine.
I do wonder what would be involved in converting this machine to do both cutting and laser work.
The German Company do a Laser but it seems to be very expensive.
Soapy

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I bought a bolt-on from https://jtechphotonics.com/ and I can't fault it. I've been so busy I haven't had the chance to really use it in anger yet but it was easy to fit and has handled all the tests I did with it no problem at all.