flat space

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
aroff
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shark hd

flat space

Post by aroff »

I'm making a wavy flag. There needs to be a flat spot for a name plaque. This flat spot needs to stand proud and not recessed
Like the cnc does'nt even carve the flat spot
help I can't figure it out

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: flat space

Post by mtylerfl »

Make a rectangle model that is as thick as the amount you want rising above the flag plus the flag thickness (i.e. the thickest area the rectangle will be placed). Set the rectangle to Merge and it will protrude up from the flag as a flat surface.

If you will carve using a Tapered Ballnose Bit, add a Draft Angle equal to, or greater than, the Bit taper angle to avoid “chewed” edges around the rectangle platform.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

aroff
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aroff »

Morning Mr. Tyler
It doesn't work. Model is 1.5 thick. I make a rectangle and set height to 1.625 and it says model is to thick using merge.
If I reduce the thicknedd enough to make it work, then it make the model to thin

aaaaahhhhhhhhh
Going crazy

GOT IT TO WORK BY REDUCING THE THICKNESS BY THE AMOUNT IT SAID I WAS OVER. STILL MAKE MODEL THIN. ILL PLAY WITH IT

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Andy,

Another thing you may want to try for reducing your model thickness is the “Replace Below” feature.

It lets you slice off the bottom of a model by a thickness amount you specify. If you haven’t used this before, specify a small amount (0.02”) and Apply that repeatedly. Keep your 3D View visible while you do this and carefully observe the model after each application. If you go too far, just Undo the last application.

The advantage of this method is your model doesn’t suffer detail loss as when just reducing the height the “normal” way.

Not every model is suitable for this method, but I think you might be able to slice off some off the bottom thickness of your flag model (not sure, since I don’t have it in front of me).

If you can reduce your flag thickness even by a small amount, then your rectangle platform model doesn’t need to be as thick when you Merge it.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

aroff
Vectric Apprentice

Post by aroff »

i only have 9.5 will that make a difference

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Andy,

There is a 9.5 Replace Below gadget you can download from the Vectric website.

It’s a bit less intuitive to use, than the now incorporated Replace Below feature that is in version 10, but it does work!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you don't want to touch the material where the name is to go then you should be able to do that using vector boundaries. Draw a vector for the part you want to leave unmachined, draw a vector boundary for your flag model, select both & use the vector boundary option when creating your roughing & finishing 3D toolpaths :lol: :lol:

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you for mentioning that, Martin. The use of vector boundaries is probably the quickest/easiest solution!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC