Double Sided Tape for holding down work to base board

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz High Z Machine German manufacture

Double Sided Tape for holding down work to base board

Post by Soapyjoe »

Hi,
For quite a number of years I have been using double sided tape to hold work pieces to a waste board when CNC machining and profiling.
Recently, I have discovered that I cannot find the tape that I have used, in the past, very successfully.
I normally purchase several rolls at a time ... so my "history" of eBay purchases does not help.
Can anyone advise me on a suitable tape?
At the moment all I seem to be coming up with is tape that is either too weak for the job or the reverse.

thegreatwaldo
Model of CNC Machine: makko

Re: Double Sided Tape for holding down work to base board

Post by thegreatwaldo »

A good trick is to use normal masking tape. Put the tape on the base board and also on the item that you wish to hold down. Apply super glue C/A adhesive to one side and spray some activator on the otherside and hold together. It's much cheaper than double sided tape and also the masking tape is much easier to remove. Here's an example
Cheers
Andrew

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard

Post by Soapyjoe »

Thanks Andrew,
That sounds a great idea
Will order up some supplies and give it a trial.
Soapy

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard

Post by Soapyjoe »

Hi Andrew .... again!
After watching the video
Is this method strong enough to withstand profiling without the use of tabs?
Soapy

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I use this method and love it. My last 2 projects included intricate bullnose cuts and I didn't want the wood to move during the rough cut so I supplemented the hold down with a couple of screws located in a safe area. I've tried both painters tape and regular masking tape and haven't noticed much of a difference unless the painters tape is the cheap brand which doesn't hold as well. I do place my workpiece against a 90 degree jig for more stability. I have an mdf waste board and the tape does have a tendency to pull some of it up particularly in an area where the bit has cut through the top. A quick fly cut will address that followed by sealing it. Also leave some tape sticking out at least one end to help with removing the finished workpiece. I use a chisel and wood wedges to help with the removal. Sorry, I just finished my second cup of coffee.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Try a search on the forum, there has been quite a bit of discussion about this & other hold down methods over the years :lol: :lol:
A lot will be down to the job you are doing, if you are cutting a lot of small parts then you may need to use tabs because the painters tape & superglue method can leave areas where there is no adhesion between the 2 pieces of tape, if your small part falls in one of those areas then there is nothing to stop it lifting :lol: :lol:
My own view is that there is not a one size fits all hold down method for my current set up so I tend to use what ever method I think will be best for the project I am doing. :lol: :lol:

CrowsWW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 4896

Post by CrowsWW »

When I am cutting a lot of small parts I use this method. But I use a putty knife to spread the CA glue over the entire taped area and it seems to work great.
Troy Crow
Crow's Woodwork's
I have a day job to support my wood habit!

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

I have totally switched to this from double sided tape. This holds wayyyy better. I use it for small parts, thin parts, and parts where I don't want tabs.

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard

Post by Soapyjoe »

Thanks to everybody contributing to this topic.
Just ordered tape, CA glue and accelerator to make a trial for myself
Soapy

thegreatwaldo
Model of CNC Machine: makko

Post by thegreatwaldo »

Hi Soapy.
I'm glad it worked out for you just remember to use medium viscocity glue. The thinstuff runs everywhere.
Cheers.
Andrew

pete1961
Model of CNC Machine: Mach3 Home Built

Post by pete1961 »

3M 4032 Is what I use.
You can find it in many places.
The CA Glue method does work very well also but it can get messy when working with.

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

pete1961 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:21 pm
3M 4032 Is what I use.
You can find it in many places.
The CA Glue method does work very well also but it can get messy when working with.
How can you make a mess when you just glued yourself to the spoil board?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

To all that are using Painters Tape and CA glue; I've been using it for several years now and it's a great way to hold things now and not have to worry about tabs (if you position the tape right). My method for applying the tape is as follows;
First I put 2" wide painters tape on the bottom of the material making sure to go all the way from edge to edge. I don't usually apply tape to the whole underside of the material.
Second I align the material on the spoil board where I want it and mark on the spoil board at each end of the material where the painters tape is.
Third I remove the material and put down strips of painters tape on the spoil board lining it up with the marks on the spoil board.
Fourth I apply the CA glue to the painters tape on the spoil board, spray the painters tape on the material with activator and line up the material on the spoil board and hold it for a few seconds.
This method works well, but it's somewhat time consuming and I wind up with pencil marks on my spoil board that i have to erase or I'll get confused when I place the next project down.
What procedure do you use to align the painters tape on the material with the tape on the material?
Looking for a better way.
John
Maker of Chips

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

highpockets wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:49 pm
This method works well, but it's somewhat time consuming and I wind up with pencil marks on my spoil board that i have to erase or I'll get confused when I place the next project down.
What procedure do you use to align the painters tape on the material with the tape on the material?
Looking for a better way.
I do it about the same. I just make the spoil board tape a bit longer, and put the pencil marks on that. It does take time. I just inlaid the points (48) on two backgammon boards using 2" wide walnut I had. That's a LOT of gluing and taping, but almost no sanding. Plus, you get a perfect fit.

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

I like most of you have had great success using painters tape. I have found that using exterior painters tape is easier to apply and remove, it has a smooth surface and I believe it bonds better, I use medium CA glue.
I hang the tape over the front of the spoil board for easy reference as well.
Ron
Crafers Crafts