Editing tool path

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Jamesdee1046
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: MultiCam w/Planet CNC Controller

Editing tool path

Post by Jamesdee1046 »

I hope this isn't a foolish question:

I use a lot of V bits and very small end mills to route my plaques. In some of the tight spots my v bit barely touches the plaque. This adds to the time it takes to complete the job. I would like to eliminate these cuts if possible. Is there a way to do this without going into the code to do it. I would like in the perfect world to select a cut and delete it in the Vectric application.

Thanks in advance for the help

Jim Markevitch
Grapevine, TX
Attachments
BNSF Store.jpg
Jim Markevitch
Grapevine, TX

garymkrieg
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: MillRight Mega V

Re: EDITING TOOL PATH

Post by garymkrieg »

Jim, I can't answer your question but looking at that sample of your work I have to ask an unrelated question. Do you use a mask to allow you to paint the black areas? I have a close friend that is a railroad nut and would really like something like this.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Rather than changing the toolpath or code you would generally change the vectors themselves.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

garymkrieg wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 pm
Jim, I can't answer your question but looking at that sample of your work I have to ask an unrelated question. Do you use a mask to allow you to paint the black areas? I have a close friend that is a railroad nut and would really like something like this.
If you are really into old steam locomotives, Ted (treischl) modeled one awhile back and shared it here on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33137&p=240675&hil ... ve#p240675
Steve

Jamesdee1046
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Editing tool path

Post by Jamesdee1046 »

No mask used, just paint as some of the areas are very small.

Additional plaque's can be sen at: https://www.classiccarvings.com/ to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
When I do a train engine and the outline is cut with a 60 or 50 degree v bit. The Vectric application go around the entire outline but than goes back between each railroad tie and just touches the 90 degree corners which is not necessary but have no way of easily removing them. Hope that make sense.

"ARNOLD" has to go very slow when doing some of the cuts due to the size of the bits and the detail I try to achieve in the wood.
"Arnold" is a MultiCam CNC router that I've had sense the mid 90's . I tore the electronics out when they died and built my own Planet CNC controller.
Attachments
20200523_2.jpg
UYIZ4374.jpg
Jim Markevitch
Grapevine, TX

garymkrieg
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: MillRight Mega V

Post by garymkrieg »

Steve, thanks for the link very helpful
Jim, you work is amazing, your attention to detail is something to aspire to, thanks!

Jamesdee1046
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Jamesdee1046 »

Maybe I'm not stating this correctly.
I saved a tool path and edited it in my word pad and saved it again as a revised file.
I can load run the revised the using my planet CNC application .
I would like to be able to IMPORT this tool path into the Vectric application job but have no luck.
Does that make sense??

Thanks

Jim Markevitch
Grapevine, TX
Jim Markevitch
Grapevine, TX

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

It makes perfect sense but it can't be done. This has been discussed many times here on the forum. Your best bet is to edit the original design in Aspire, make any changes there and re-save the toolpath. For custom changes in your toolpath you might be able to edit your post processor and make the necessary changes there.
Steve

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The issue is that the software "knows" there is material left in those corners. It is a math thing. The reality is that little itty bitty tiny pieces of wood are fragile and break off so they are not really there anymore. I guess one could say "There is no there, there."

If you were cutting something like aluminum you would notice little nubs in all those corners where it touches down.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Jamesdee1046
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Jamesdee1046 »

Maybe in the future it may be something Vectric tech heads would like to incorporate into the application. Would be helpful for folks who do very detailed work and are concerned about milling time.
Jim Markevitch
Grapevine, TX