DXF units

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
RhoTu
Vectric Craftsman

DXF units

Post by RhoTu »

When I save an Aspire project that is designed in inches as a DXF the units are undefined when I import them into other software. Can anyone enlighten me how to prevent that?

When I export the other software as an STL it saves as MM's. And when I bring that into Cura for slicing I have to scale by 2540%.

Don't know where I am going wrong.

TIA
RT

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: DXF units

Post by Adrian »

DXF files are unit based. If you export something that is 6" x 6" then the file will be 6 units by 6 units. When you import you need to declare the measurement unit at that stage.

Same thing with STL's. It's the import that matters not the export. Some slicer software takes educated guesses based on the size of the bed and the number of units in the file.

RhoTu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RhoTu »

Thanks Adrian. That gives me info that maybe I can find how to have Cura assume inch instead of metric.

RT

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

A very easy way to fix the problem, is once you import it and find it should of been mm instead of inches, or visa versa, go into edit and undo the import, then go back into job setup and switch from inches to mm or the other way around. It will change to the correct conversion automatically. Then re-import. Fast and Easy and you don't have to get out your calculator.

If it was in inches and want to export it out as mm, the same thing works.

Gary