Vcarve problem leaving ridges

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ThomasScott
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Nebula

Vcarve problem leaving ridges

Post by ThomasScott »

Hi, Basically I'm cutting out a clock face out of corian but the v-carve is leaving ridges around the numbers and the border. I will try to attach the file and a picture of the result, haven't posted much so not sure if it will let me. It's almost like the vcarve and the clearing bits aren't matching up in the result, but the preview, toolpaths,shaded toolpaths look fine. I'm on version Aspire version 10.022 if that helps. This is a roughly 11.5" test cut to finally cut out of a 24" piece of corian, so little nervous why this is happening. Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated! It won't allow
me to attach the actual aspire file. So I'm using 3 clearing passes from 3/4 bit to 1/16th around the numbers and recessed border, then a 1/4 vbit to carve the numbers. Do you need the actual Aspire File?

Ridge Cut.JPG

Thanks
Scott

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Vcarve problem leaving ridges

Post by TReischl »

Did you allow it to finish all the tool paths completely? I ask because you said the preview looked fine. But the pic sures shows something different.

Some of it looks a little strange. I can see where an end mill has partially cut around a letter but then stops. Cuts somewhere else on the same letter and stops. Z tool height setting also seems to be an issue.

To allow others to see your crv3d just put it in something like DropBox and post the link here so it can be downloaded.
Capture.JPG
Did you program the smaller clearance tool all the way around the letter or is that just where the software calculated where it could fit? If you tried to squeeze it between vectors you used for the large end mill and other vectors you could easily get what you are seeing here.

When I do something like this I program a profile cut around the letters and do not use a pocketing tool path to avoid problems like this. Then if I miss something I can see it in the preview. Not sure if this is the issue or not.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ThomasScott

Post by ThomasScott »

Ted, thanks for reply, below is link to actual Aspire file (I hope) haven't used dropbox in quite a while. The toolpath
list will show on the last 3 paths a correction I tried to do based around the center hole for the clockface. Didn't do much to improve cut tho. So all the vcarve TEST cuts were seperate cuts after initial cut to rectify . It's like the vcarve
doesn't match up to the clearing cuts ? see what you think, appreciate any help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7c74hfnavhhlx ... crv3d?dl=0

Thank you!

Scott

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

ThomasScott wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:46 am
Hi, Basically I'm cutting out a clock face out of corian but the v-carve is leaving ridges around the numbers and the border. I will try to attach the file and a picture of the result, haven't posted much so not sure if it will let me. It's almost like the vcarve and the clearing bits aren't matching up in the result, but the preview, toolpaths,shaded toolpaths look fine. I'm on version Aspire version 10.022 if that helps. This is a roughly 11.5" test cut to finally cut out of a 24" piece of corian, so little nervous why this is happening. Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated! It won't allow
me to attach the actual aspire file. So I'm using 3 clearing passes from 3/4 bit to 1/16th around the numbers and recessed border, then a 1/4 vbit to carve the numbers. Do you need the actual Aspire File?
Your file looks good, no problem.

BUT, you said you are using 3 tools above to do the clearing but you specified 4 clearing tools, did you forget to run one? That would cause the issue you are seeing.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Unless there is more to this than I can see, I'm not sure why you need so many toolpaths.
Attachments
Clock Face.jpg
Clock Face original.jpg
Steve

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Could be a cutting time thing. I did not fiddle around and see if changing it up had an impact on run time. ::::shrug::::

ThomasScott

Post by ThomasScott »

Yep, Missed another clearing toolpath, printer was down so just wrote the cuts down on paper, normally always
use a job sheet. But even when I look at what the 4th 1/16" clearing toolpath cuts it's not going to remove the
ridges . As for the number of toolpaths it was a time thing especially when I moved up to bigger piece. Have some
scrap corian will play around with it and see what happens. Thanks for taking a look and all your help .

Scott

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

VCarving always leaves ridges in those areas that cannot be reached by the clearing tools. They can be reduced by specifying a smaller stepover or, eliminated by using a V bit with a flat on the end. But you will not get perfectly sharp corners if the bit has a flat..
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ThomasScott

Post by ThomasScott »

Well, Hell I feel stupid, should know by now to trust the preview ! . If preview looks good and cuts look bad
you have screwed something up. In my case somehow cut the first 3/4" EM clearing bit with a 1/2" EM . Got
in a hurry and didn't catch it . Sorry to waste your time, appreciate the help! Sometimes a few beers and CNC
don't mix well, live and learn

Thanks Scott