A comment about the new project galleries

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Phil
Vectric Wizard

A comment about the new project galleries

Post by Phil »

I like the larger thumbnails displayed in the updated galleries. I would like to see a way to show if a comment by a member has been posted without having to open the thread. I look forward to seeing what people have to say about the projects and it would be nice to know if there has been a recent comment on the main gallery page.

Phil

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Re: A comment about the new project galleries

Post by BillK »

I agree with you Phil. I guess we are supposed to go to Quick Links, Active topics now and search for the post to see if anyone comments.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If it's a thread you've participated in then any new comments are shown in the Notifications and, optionally, you get an email about it.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Adrian wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:22 pm
If it's a thread you've participated in then any new comments are shown in the Notifications and, optionally, you get an email about it.
You have to turn on subscriptions and/or bookmark the post in order to get those notifications Adrian, not just participate. Without remembering to do those extra steps, the notifications will not magically appear. That happens by clicking the wrench at the top of the post. Also you need to check your own settings under notifications to make sure all that is turned on. All somewhat tedious vs just looking at the post, but progress marches on!
BillK

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm at the point where I just avoid the galleries unless I've posted a thread there.

4D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

BillK wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:13 pm
You have to turn on subscriptions and/or bookmark the post in order to get those notifications Adrian, not just participate. Without remembering to do those extra steps, the notifications will not magically appear. That happens by clicking the wrench at the top of the post. Also you need to check your own settings under notifications to make sure all that is turned on. All somewhat tedious vs just looking at the post, but progress marches on!
You only have to turn on the settings in your user control panel once and, unless it's changed since I first joined, they are all on automatically so it's opt out rather than in. Once notifications are turned on there then it's all automatic. The act of posting in the thread automatically subscribes you so you don't need to bookmark or it anything else from that point forward.

If a person doesn't want to use notifications then the Quick Links gives list views of new posts and active topics which include which forum area they relate to.
4DThinker wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:44 am
I'm at the point where I just avoid the galleries unless I've posted a thread there.

4D
I was completely the reverse. I avoided the galleries before the change purely because it was constantly changing with people posting praise and from the subject headers used it was often impossible to know what was being posted to start with. Now I can look at the gallery and instantly see what the work being displayed is and see if it's something that I'm interested in or would like more details on. I've come across lots of projects that I would never have seen before.

Of course in the ideal world there will be a control panel switch to allow people to go back to the old way or keep with the new way and then everyone is happy but I don't know if that's possible in phpBB.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Adrian,

I know you think it works like that, and it probably does for you, but it never has for me. All those switches are turned on and I do not get notifications unless I subscribe/bookmark. And I never opted out of any of them. And if that’s happening with me, it’s happening with many others.
BillK

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

BillK wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:13 pm
Adrian wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:22 pm
It's just more cumbersome than it needs to be. How many members are aware of the procedure described by Bill?

Phil

Will Williamson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Thermwood CS-45 5 x 10

Post by Will Williamson »

I don't care for the new gallery, it is so slow to load .
I move on.
Will Williamson willmade.com
Williamson Lumber & Millwork Inc.
Capac, Michigan

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I never go to any galleries, before or after.
I click "new posts" and click on those that interest me, and don't click those which don't. I personally don't see why anyone would do different.
Doug

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Xxray wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:01 pm
I never go to any galleries, before or after.
I click "new posts" and click on those that interest me, and don't click those which don't. I personally don't see why anyone would do different.
Me too Doug. Although I do occasionally visit the galleries and I like the ability to review old projects it is rare. Normally I will just search for an old topic that has the information or pics I'm looking for.
Steve

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I click on "Unread Posts" so I can follow a discussion if I feel like it. After I read the ones I want, I click on the Mark All Read so it does not turn into this horrendous list.

Sort of like the new forum and the way it is working, no complaints here.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

BillK wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:23 pm
Adrian,

I know you think it works like that, and it probably does for you, but it never has for me. All those switches are turned on and I do not get notifications unless I subscribe/bookmark. And I never opted out of any of them. And if that’s happening with me, it’s happening with many others.
Did you turn on the "Notify me about replies option"? It only has to be done once and then you get notifications for ever more without subscribing. By default that option is off.