outside radius around 3d model

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

outside radius around 3d model

Post by brockadeau »

I am trying to put a 1/2" radius around the perimeter of this carved seat to soften the edges. Is there an easy way to do this? I tried two rail sweep but it won't work properly like the tutorial. Jack
Attachments
seat.jpg

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Re: outside radius around 3d model

Post by rig gap »

Since you already have the profile, have you thought of using a 1/2" roundover bit....it would be considerably faster than a 2 rail sweep.

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

Post by brockadeau »

Thanks for the suggestion, but because the outside edge varies in height and width I can't see running a router around it and I'm not sure i could properly reference a round-over bit in my cnc that would come out correctly either. I cut something once with an offset around the perimeter that seemed to leave a radius, but I don't remember what I did. :(

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I think that “rig gap” left out using the "Project toolpath onto 3D Model” option with the profile path using round-over bit.

Back to your original post: which tutorial video are you referring to? Does that video succeed in adding this round over using two-rail sweep? How did you attempt fail?

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

Post by brockadeau »

Thanks for the reply. I managed to make a radius outline with two rail sweep, but it is at a set height based on the initial settings, but the perimeter height varies on this so that won't work. I will try with project tool path onto 3d model and see if I can make that work. Thanks

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

Post by brockadeau »

Thanks for the reply. I managed to make a radius outline with two rail sweep, but it is at a set height based on the initial settings, but the perimeter height varies on this so that won't work. I will try with project tool path onto 3d model and see if I can make that work. So How do add a roundover bit to the tool options under 2d profile toolpath? The bit does not come to a point so the diameter does not represent the entire architecture of the bit profile.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I really am clueless about modelling in Aspire. If this was Rhinoceros it would be trivial as the rail sweep can follow a true 3D curve. For that matter I would use Sweep1 rather than Sweep2 in Rhino.

If you model your round-over and set it to merge with the seat component shouldn’t that work even if the round-over is 2.5D?

For that matter it would be nice if Aspire had a 3D fillet/round command...

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

Post by brockadeau »

Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (5).png
[attachment=1 So I am still trying. I can'y seem to get the two rail sweep to get the radius conforming to the drawing I did. Here are screen shots of what I get. The radius is either a reversed fillet around the perimeter, or a raised dome fillet around the perimeter. I am trying to start the radius flush with the top of the edge and go down around the perimeter to soften the edges. Can this be done? Jack