Calling all Vectricians for our COMPETITION - Operation SMILE

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Stephanie Downing
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: xxx

Calling all Vectricians for our COMPETITION - Operation SMILE

Post by Stephanie Downing »

Hi Vectricians!

We're trying to encourage our community to use their skills as 'makers' and 'creators' to help their family, friends and neighbours during this increasingly unsettling time.

We think it's important at times like this to all pull together, regardless of where you are around the world, to create something that everyone in our community can benefit from.

With that in mind, we have decided to start a competition and we would love for you all to get involved!

All you need to do is, create something in your Vectric software that you feel will be beneficial to as many people as possible. Whether it's a project designed to help our heroic key workers or to bring a smile to someones day, we can't wait to see what you create.

The team here at Vectric will choose their top 3 contenders, then we will ask our community to vote for their favourite.

The winner will receive a free upgrade to the next major version and the winning files will be made available for Vectric users as one of our free projects. (Please bear in mind, we may need to make minor changes to your file to make it usable for the majority of our community.)

To enter your design to the competition simply post the preview of your finished design to this forum post. It doesn't matter which Vectric product you own OR which version you're using, we want everyone to be involved :)

Get making, because the deadline for entries is 22.04.20.

Ready, Set...MAKE

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Re: Calling all Vectricians for our COMPETITION - Operation SMILE

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

I made a tic-tac-toe game for my granddaughter.
I also made a Texas version for my daughter that lives in Houston.
Both sides of the playing pieces are V carved.
I rounded over the edges on my router table.
Made from red oak.
Enjoy.
Attachments
IMG_20181219_184359407.jpg
IMG_20181219_184426857.jpg
TIC TAC TOE BOARD.crv
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 175 times
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

I don't know if this counts as "smile" for many people, but here's what I've been working on. It's based on the "Round Tuits" I've done in the past. Originally meant to use small board scraps, I did the current run of these using new Maple and Walnut shorts.

I had to compress the .crv to fit within the upload restrictions.
YearOfCovid1.jpg
YearOfCovid2.jpg
YearOfCovid3.jpg
Attachments
CovidCoaster.zip
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

Edit...
Both sides of the playing pieces are V carved.
I rounded over the edges on my router table.
Made from red oak.

WRONG.
I did not use the router table.
All was done on the CNC.

My pea brain was elsewhere.
Sorry about that.
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz High Z Machine German manufacture

Post by Soapyjoe »

Annotation 2020-04-09 161445.jpg
Hi Everybody,
Just an idea for the competition.
A young Hindu girl performing "Namaste" and a line or two expressing our thanks
Soapy

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard

Post by Soapyjoe »

Competition 02.jpg
Hi,
Additional Details
You can easily discover the "Namaste" in many "Images" files
Copy this and adjust for size
Two lines of text …In this case I have made it for parcel deliveries " ANY PARCEL PLEASE RING BELL AND LEAVE ON STEP"
and "ESSENTIAL SERVICES WE SALUTE YOU"

Soapy

RhoTu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RhoTu »

A nurse friend of mine is at that stage where they are asked to reuse their n95 masks. He asked if I could come up with something that would allow him to take it off and put it on again without having to touch the outer surface of the mask. I photographed the mask to get its shape, then imported into Aspire. Drew the outline and then Offset that, then further offset those two. Put in some finger holds, and a place to grab the rubber bands when putting on, connected the ends and put in a couple of supports (clipping tool was extremely helpful). Saved as a dxf. Imported into other software and extruded. Saved as a stl, imported into cura for slicing and 3d printed.

It's amazing what these tools will allow you to do.

RT
Attachments
n95 dxf forms.PNG
n95 Fusion360.PNG
n95 mask.jpg
n95 No Touch 2.jpg
n95 No Touch.jpg

Stephanie Downing
Vectric Staff

Wow! Thank you so much to those of you who have shared your designs so far!

We would love to see the projects you have been creating to bring some positivity to your friends and family, so please share them here :)

Following the vote for our communities favourite, we'll be announcing the winner in our upcoming newsletter.

We can't wait!

MJMStudio
Model of CNC Machine: CNC pirahna XL

Post by MJMStudio »

I made this memorial box for a family that lost a loved one during this time, They were not able to be with their loved one nor were able to have a real funeral. It is for keeping items to remind them of the life they shared and the better times they had. In a small way to help maybe, but anyway if they are not smiling now I hope that it will bring plenty later. Also found a lot of help in forum and without community probably would not have been a successful, because I a novice and learn here a little more with each visit.
Attachments
IMG_8037.jpg
IMG_8038.JPG
IMG_8040.JPG

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard

Post by Soapyjoe »

Hi Everybody,
Just something I am working on at the moment.
I feel in these difficult times unity of world religions is really needed.
I feel this project can be split into many parts and is, at the moment, ongoing.
If deemed a fit project … I could break the construction of the shape and inlay work down to its constituent parts.
Attachments
Picture1.jpg

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard

Post by Soapyjoe »

Just to state the obvious …. each of the twelve individual faces of the Dodecahedron is representative of a different religion.
More photos if anybody would like them,
Every part of this project was planned, drawn and CNC machined using Vectric software
Soapy

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard

Post by Soapyjoe »

Just another quick idea

The figure is Mayan and the green finish a process that I am working on but quite willing to share
The oak is, at present, covered with cellotaph to protect it … will obviously be removed at a later final stage
SoapyImage
Attachments
Picture2.jpg

Stephanie Downing
Vectric Staff

MJMStudio wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:55 am
I made this memorial box for a family that lost a loved one during this time, They were not able to be with their loved one nor were able to have a real funeral. It is for keeping items to remind them of the life they shared and the better times they had. In a small way to help maybe, but anyway if they are not smiling now I hope that it will bring plenty later. Also found a lot of help in forum and without community probably would not have been a successful, because I a novice and learn here a little more with each visit.
Thank you MJMStudio for sharing your story here, we are so sorry to hear of the loss of a loved one for this family. It is such a terribly difficult time for everyone right now and not being able to be with our loved ones while they go through this, or even to be able to say goodbye to them is one of the hardest things.

The memorial box you have created is heartwarming, although it will take some time for this family to heal i'm sure over the years to come, this gift will bring them a lot of joy as they remember all of their good times together.

We are honoured that our software and our communities guidance is helping you to bring a little bit of happiness during this time. Thank you so much for sharing your project in our competition. :)

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

So, here is an entry that hopefully should qualify as smile-generating (please check out the YouTube link)...
We adopted a puppy (Lab/Border Collie Mix) a few weeks ago and she sure keeps us occupied.
So, my first CNC project after a 5-months hiatus (move from CA to CO) was a dog puzzle to keep her busy and challenged.
We tried a few commercially available ones made from plastic but she preferred disassembling them or just flipping and shaking out the kibbles instead of playing by the rules. So my new design is sturdy and somewhat cheat-proof. All made from 18mm Birch plywood and one-sided cuts with VcarvePro.

Video:

DogPuzzle4.jpg
IMG_1803.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG
The Vcarve file has been zipped:
DOGPUZZLE4_Main.zip
(863.89 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

574melvin
Model of CNC Machine: Morbidelli Author 636 top

Post by 574melvin »

I made 4 of these Plexiglass shields for the doctors in our local hospitals. These allow the doctor to place the shields over the heads of the patients and reach their hands through them to operate. It protects them yet allows them to work. The one hospital liked them so much they sent one to one of their sister hospitals in another city. These will flat pack for storage until they are needed again. I made this using VCarve Pro and my Holzher CNC router. The material is 1/4" Plexiglass.
Attachments
IMG-2006.jpeg
IMG-2004.jpeg
surgery protection.JPG