Creating a toolpath for one of three components

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro 6+

Creating a toolpath for one of three components

Post by tjimholte »

I have an issue that I know how to work around but it seems like it should not work as it does. The attached screen shots show that all 3 components are checked in the modeling tab and visible in the 2 and 3 D views. When I select only one of the components and try to create a toolpath, it creates a toolpath for all 3 components. I assume because I selected "model boundary" so it took all 3 visable components as the model??? If I uncheck the other 2 components I can then get a tool path for the one I want but why doesn't the simple act of selecting the one I want create a toolpath for that selected one?

I know I could also create another vector around what I want a toolpath for but am I crazy here? Would this be a bug or just the way it works?

Love to hear other opinions.

TJ
Attachments
Aspire Issue Model Boundary Selection.jpg
Aspire Issue Model Boundary Selection2.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Creating a toolpath for one of three components

Post by TReischl »

It acts the way I would expect it to act. Not sure I would describe what you are doing as a workaround.

Guess it is all in how you look at it or possibly experience with some other software and how it works?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

When generating a toolpath using the model boundary the program will use all visible components. Uncheck the visibility of a component and it will not be included. Usually, the better way is to create a boundary around each component (Model menu) and use the selected vector to create a toolpath. Then you can modify the vector, if necessary, to control the toolpath.
Steve

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Thanks Steve,

I eventually figured that out but I don't do a ton of 3D and don't usually have the modeling tab open when creating toolpaths so it just didn't seem right to me to see that I had the component I wanted to make a toolpath for highlighted and then was surprised to see that it grabbed all visible components even though the screen clearly showed on both the 2d and 3d views that only one component was selected. To me that is conflicting information, so now I know better.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Instead of using "Model Boundary" would using "Selected Level" be a better option? You'd need to create a Level 2 and Level 3 and move the Sambas 2 & 3 to their respective levels.

That to me would would make more sense as the individual components aren't really making a composite model but rather are behaving as if they are elements that could be put in "layers".

Steven

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Yep that works too, good idea.

I still just think it’s not as intuitive as it could be.