Welcome to the new and improved Vectric Forum!

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ezurick

Re: Welcome to the new and improved Vectric Forum!

Post by ezurick »

BillK wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:27 pm
Thanks guys. Just guess everyone uses this differently. My interest is making original models with Aspire. Most of my visits to the forum are to the Aspire gallery. I was used to just going there, seeing what was new, what was the hot topic, and who was commenting. Now when I go there I see nice pictures. So now I have to go other places to get to see what I was used to seeing but mixed in with other things that I’m probably not that interested in.

I’m sure the development work and review by beta testers to how they use the forum was thorough. It will just take getting used to.
This is exactly what I was saying up above. It is annoying to now have to go into the gallery forums and click INTO the thread to see if there are updates or new replies... before you could see if there were updates or new replies at the index... just like all the other forums. Very annoying.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's horse for courses I guess. When I go into a gallery forum I expect to see pictures front and centre.

I always found it annoying that going into a gallery I was presented with a lot of text with headings that often bore no relation to the item being presented with no way to see the subject without opening every thread and the order was constantly changing every time someone posted "Great job" or similar rather than being able to see what was a new presentation directly.

Hopefully Vectric will offer a toggle at some point so people can switch between the two views or add a column/filter to the active topics so it can be cut down from everything to what the user is interested in.

I would hate to lose the new format as it's made the gallery forums useful to me something that they haven't been since I started using the forums 15 years ago.

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

Adrian wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:54 am
It's horse for courses I guess. When I go into a gallery forum I expect to see pictures front and centre.

I would hate to lose the new format as it's made the gallery forums useful to me something that they haven't been since I started using the forums 15 years ago.
+1

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

New gallery layout took me by surprise, my initial impression is I like it, just takes a little getting used to. Like Adrian, I expect to see pics in a gallery, so to have them as thumbnails is handy, like a little preview. Is weird to see them without any titles though, even though the title may or may not be meaningless, perhaps it can be made so the title pops up when mouse is hovered over the pic.

I browse the forum most often just using the new posts function, since the subject matter of this forum is fairly limited, it pretty much all potentially interests me and there are not an avalanche of posts, tough for me to think of why it would be better to browse any differently.
Doug

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Perhaps another “bug” missed. If I am logged in, and tap quick links, I am then not recognized anymore as being logged in. I say not recognized vs. being logged out because if I use the browser back button I come back to where I am logged in, and with full functionality. Hit Quick Links when logged in, and try to post and I’m asked to log in again. Weird.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

BillK wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:49 pm
Perhaps another “bug” missed. If I am logged in, and tap quick links, I am then not recognized anymore as being logged in. I say not recognized vs. being logged out because if I use the browser back button I come back to where I am logged in, and with full functionality. Hit Quick Links when logged in, and try to post and I’m asked to log in again. Weird.
To amend this: This happens on the Apple iPad. Appears to not happen on my Windows desktop.
BillK

hooby
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3

Post by hooby »

Hmm... I don’t have this problem on my iPad. All works fine for me.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

hooby wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 pm
Hmm... I don’t have this problem on my iPad. All works fine for me.
That’s good. I stay logged in if I tap Notifications, PMs, or FAQ. If I hit home or Quick Links it doesn’t recognize.
BillK

sparky957
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: XZero 30x48 Raptor

Post by sparky957 »

The gallery will now for me just be a view of photos. Will read any message attached to a new post but when I log in and the new post icon is blue I am not going to be opening every photo till I find the new post. All good just won't post anything to the gallery.

daveh
Model of CNC Machine: Joes CNC

Post by daveh »

I liked the old layout and format better - just my 2 cents

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

daveh wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:54 am
I liked the old layout and format better - just my 2 cents
+1

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

sparky957 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:36 am
The gallery will now for me just be a view of photos. Will read any message attached to a new post but when I log in and the new post icon is blue I am not going to be opening every photo till I find the new post. All good just won't post anything to the gallery.
Just use the notifications and/or active topics.

Maybe I'm missing something but why would you want to look at the replies to an old thread that you haven't participated in?

sparky957
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: XZero 30x48 Raptor

Post by sparky957 »

Adrian wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:36 pm
sparky957 wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something but why would you want to look at the replies to an old thread that you haven't participated in?
Yes I guess you are right. Why would anyone want to read any comments left about something posted in the gallery?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

sparky957 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:03 pm
Adrian wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:36 pm
sparky957 wrote:

Yes I guess you are right. Why would anyone want to read any comments left about something posted in the gallery?
Operative words "old thread". I agree, frankly I got tired a long time ago with old posts floating to the top because someone just had to add "Looks great". Of course I have done that too.

All that said, the galleries seem a bit odd to me as of right now. I haven't been spending much time in them, so maybe a little more browsing will change my mind?

Edit: Ok, just browsed through the gallery, yup, it still seems a bit odd to me. . . . BUT, from what I can tell someone posting a comment does not cause that thread to float to the top anymore. Nor does a reply appear in the "Unread Posts" quick link. Ok, I think I am starting to like the gallery set up now.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I am not sure what you folks are seeing in the gallery forums... I am on multiple computers (Win 7 and Win 10) and all the same... I see nothing but icon pictures of each thread... nothing else. No CLUE as to which have new message. No CLUE as to which have a subject. I don't mind the icon pictures... but bring back the thread info of the title and who/what updated the replies like all the other forum indexes. Based on subject and who/what, I didn't bother reading some threads that just didn't interest me. NOW I have to actually click on EACH of the icon pictures to see what the subject is (unless I memorize it by the pic) and who/what replied with something new or not. PLEASE bring it back. It is beyond annoying.