Welcome to the new and improved Vectric Forum!

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Welcome to the new and improved Vectric Forum!

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:32 pm
I run my monitors at 1920x1080. There seems to be a lot of empty space on the left and right.

Compare the Vectric forum to the ShopBot forum regarding screen layout.
Randall,

I'm using Firefox so this may be a Firefox feature. Try pressing F9 or clicking on the reader view button in the upper right corner of the address bar.
Steve

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Post by Pete Cyr »

I preferred the old look and page structure.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:32 pm
I run my monitors at 1920x1080. There seems to be a lot of empty space on the left and right.

Compare the Vectric forum to the ShopBot forum regarding screen layout.
You are comparing a FREE forum software to a COMMERCIAL forum software. You get what you pay for... vbulletin is one of the most highly commercial forum software for many years. I've owned several licenses and people love it compared to any free forum software.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I don't like the idea that the gallery is now just icon pictures. It's nice to see a pic of the topic, but I am clueless what is new and what is old unless I actually delve into each thread. Just too hard to read. I prefer you consider putting the gallery forum back to the normal topics.

Apparently the Project of the Month forum is also with just pictures instead of normal index. Very annoying that I can't see what is new or what is old. After time people won't know what to read if all they see is a picture because they won't know if anyone updated the thread. Please consider putting the index back to normal on those two forums.
Last edited by ezurick on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I love the way the gallery forums look now. I rarely went into them before because there was so many old threads being resurrected, lots of comments that were pretty much identical etc it was hard to see what was going on.

If you go into the top level display of each master forum (Aspire, VCarve etc) it will show you the active topics which include gallery posts in the old display.

I guess the ultimate solution would be to give people a view option so that they could see it in a thread display or gallery display depending on the preference.

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

I’d have to agree on liking the gallery photos however I miss the visibility of seeing if someone has posted a reply with a question, etc. Also having the most recently replied to post on the top is also missed in the gallery.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

BillK wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:38 pm
I’d have to agree on liking the gallery photos however I miss the visibility of seeing if someone has posted a reply with a question, etc. Also having the most recently replied to post on the top is also missed in the gallery.
You can see if a post has been replied to (assuming you've taken in part in the thread previously) by the Notifications link in the top bar. You can see the threads by most recent active order by using the Active Topics in the Quick Links in the top bar or by going to the top level (Aspire, VCarve, Cut2D, PhotoVCarve) of the forum.

jerrywi
Model of CNC Machine: Momus desiign

Post by jerrywi »

I'm loving the new look and function.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Adrian wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:47 pm
BillK wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:38 pm
You can see if a post has been replied to (assuming you've taken in part in the thread previously) by the Notifications link in the top bar. You can see the threads by most recent active order by using the Active Topics in the Quick Links in the top bar or by going to the top level (Aspire, VCarve, Cut2D, PhotoVCarve) of the forum.
Sorry Adrian, did not work for a comment on one of my posts in Aspire gallery. Only notification I have is the one from your response above. Guess there’s still work to be done here.
BillK

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I can see the reply as an active tppic here - viewforum.php?f=26

The notifications should be the same as the old system I would think. If you've got notifications set then you get an email to say there is activity and, for me anyway, that is reflected in the Notifications link as well.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Adrian wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 pm
I can see the reply as an active tppic here - viewforum.php?f=26

The notifications should be the same as the old system I would think. If you've got notifications set then you get an email to say there is activity and, for me anyway, that is reflected in the Notifications link as well.
The point is we shouldn’t have to look at multiple places for something that was previously easily visible. This is a step back. Improvement to website functionality is lessening the number of clicks, not increasing them.

The solution lies somewhere in including that visibility back with the photos. This is lowering the interactions among forum users, which was a great thing here for a long time. Please try to understand that. Thanks.
BillK

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Maybe I am missing something here, I just click on Quick Links and select what I want to see. Works for me!
Capture.JPG
If the old version had that feature I did not see it in 13 years for whatever reason. I like this new stuff.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I use this is as the forum bookmark, saves time. search.php?search_id=active_topics
John
Maker of Chips

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I'm using Firefox so this may be a Firefox feature. Try pressing F9 or clicking on the reader view button in the upper right corner of the address bar.
In Chrome I can Zoom to about 125% and it reduces the size of the side gutters while increasing the font size. Chrome will remember the zoom setting for the site. This solution works for me.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Thanks guys. Just guess everyone uses this differently. My interest is making original models with Aspire. Most of my visits to the forum are to the Aspire gallery. I was used to just going there, seeing what was new, what was the hot topic, and who was commenting. Now when I go there I see nice pictures. So now I have to go other places to get to see what I was used to seeing but mixed in with other things that I’m probably not that interested in.

I’m sure the development work and review by beta testers to how they use the forum was thorough. It will just take getting used to.
BillK