Aspire V10 Toolpath ??

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Aspire V10 Toolpath ??

Post by FixitMike »

chris@manabeads.com wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 pm
Thanks again Mike. Hmm, want to fully understand your approach. It seems that to make a dome shape, using circular vectors stepping in at 25% of the End Mill diamter, in my case, 1/4" End Mill, thus 1/16" steps would do the trick. So am confused about your use of straight lines as vectors. Also, not sure what I am looking at in the image you attached...

Chris
The straight lines direct the X-Y bit movement. They can be curved, but I haven't seen any need to do so in this use of the fluting toolpath. The Z movement is generated by the fluting toolpath.

Note that this produces a cone with straight sides rather than a dome with curves. The primary advantages over a 3D dome are that no roughing cut is required, and it will probably take less time because the "stepover" is larger.

Here's a better picture with part of the material removed to show the flat at the end of the cut: The first picture was done as a double sided job which resulted in a poor preview.
Conical Taper fluting 2.jpg
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Re: Aspire V10 Toolpath ??

Post by RacerChris »

FixitMike wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:46 pm
chris@manabeads.com wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 pm
Thanks again Mike. Hmm, want to fully understand your approach. It seems that to make a dome shape, using circular vectors stepping in at 25% of the End Mill diamter, in my case, 1/4" End Mill, thus 1/16" steps would do the trick. So am confused about your use of straight lines as vectors. Also, not sure what I am looking at in the image you attached...

Chris
The straight lines direct the X-Y bit movement. They can be curved, but I haven't seen any need to do so in this use of the fluting toolpath. The Z movement is generated by the fluting toolpath.

Note that this produces a cone with straight sides rather than a dome with curves. The primary advantages over a 3D dome are that no roughing cut is required, and it will probably take less time because the "stepover" is larger.

Here's a better picture with part of the material removed to show the flat at the end of the cut: The first picture was done as a double sided job which resulted in a poor preview.
Conical Taper fluting 2.jpg
Thanks again Mike. This time I noticed you included the file... Duh :-) Had to upgrade to 10.5 from 8.5. Now I understand what you did and how you did it. Nice. This software is something!
Chris
Shark HD3 / vCarveDesktop 10.512 / CNC Shark Control Panel v2.1 Build 22