Aspire V10 Toolpath ??

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
njload
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000mm

Aspire V10 Toolpath ??

Post by njload »

Still in the learning curve here but was wondering what kind of tool-path is needed to create the Sloped carve on the Mexican Train domino's station.
Designing it is no problem but I have no idea how to create the tool-path to slope out the ends.

Picture included. Hope I am explaining this right.
Mexican Train Station.jpg

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Aspire V10 Toolpath ??

Post by gkas »

As usual in Vectric, there are more ways than one to attack the problem. It looks like a flat topped dome. I created a dome from Create Shape from vector outline. Then I drew a rectangle to represent one of the cutouts. I used circular copy to create 8 rectangles. 8 is just a guess. I have no idea what the total board should look like. Select the 8 rectangles, and the dome, and use Clear area of selected component inside selected vectors. I drew a circle and used a 2D Pocket Toolpath to shave off the top by 0.15"
Mexican Train.jpg
Link to Mexican train.crv3d https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OjLL7 ... xbz9Gl8xNs

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I would use a moulding toolpath with a large ballnose bit. Draw a circle for the moulding toolpath rail, and a slanted line for the profile.

Edit - don't use my tool feed and speed settings - way too fast for a small machine.
Attachments
Mexican Train Domino.JPG
Mexican Domino Vectors.JPG
Mexican Domino.crv3d
(701.5 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

njload
Vectric Apprentice

Post by njload »

Thanks to both replies, I need to wrap my head around what you both did. I was messing with the create shape dome but wasn't sure about the rest.

Thanks again.

You guys are great.

njload
Vectric Apprentice

Post by njload »

dealguy11, still trying wrap my head around the molding tool-path and was wondering how to change the thickness of the stock to reflect in this tool-path.
I know how to change the job setup and when I do this I get a warning that the "cut depth exceeds material thickness" in the swept profile tool-path. This is when
I changed to .75" thickness in the job setup.

Any help is more that appreciated as I don't want to just copy your generous help but I want to learn from it.

njload

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

The depth of the moulding toolpath is defined by the height of the sweep vector. In the example I sent, if you click on the slanted vector to the right of the work area and then click on "Set selected objects size" you will see that it is a little more than 1" in height. If you modify this vector in the Set Selected Objects Size dialog so that it is only 1/2" high (make sure you unclick "Link xy" when you do this so it doesn't change both dimensions) then it should work in 3/4" stock.

Edit - Actually, anything less than 3/4" will work. I picked 1/2" because it looks like there is about 1/4" of material around the edge of the shape in the picture you provided.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

njload
Vectric Apprentice

Post by njload »

Thanks again, really appreciate your help.

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Post by RacerChris »

Hey guys. Like this Mexican Domino Train Station :-) But can't read it on my VCarve Desktop Software. Any chance someone can translate it for me? Apologize if this cannot be done but hopefully it can... I cut 3D images all the time...

Cheers!

Chris
Chris
Shark HD3 / vCarveDesktop 10.512 / CNC Shark Control Panel v2.1 Build 22

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

You can also make a slope using the fluting toolpath and closely spaced vectors. I use an end mill and vectors spaced at 1/4 of the end mill diameter. Note that the cut area will be beyond the selected vectors by the tool radius, but the sloped area will end with a flat at the lowest point . A conical surface like this would be cut using radial lines. The fluting toolpath will cut faster than a 3D surface, but uses a different tool.
Taper.PNG
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RacerChris »

Thanks Mike. I get it and had not thought of that approach. What do you use as "vectors"; a line, arc?
Chris

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

I use straight lines as vectors. For this example I used a 1/2" end mill with the vectors spaced about 1/2" apart at the outer ends. Note that the cut extends beyond the vectors by the tool radius, which means there will be a 1/2" flat at the lower ends. I profile cut inside the cut for this example.
Conical Taper fluting.jpg
conical taper fluting.crv
(469.5 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

Correction: 1/8" apart, not 1/2". I use 1/4 of the diameter of the bit used to get a reasonably smooth surface on a moderate slope.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

Correction: 1/8" apart, not 1/2". I use 1/4 of the diameter of the bit used to get a reasonably smooth surface on a moderate slope.

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RacerChris »

FixitMike wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:50 am
I use straight lines as vectors. For this example I used a 1/2" end mill with the vectors spaced about 1/2" apart at the outer ends. Note that the cut extends beyond the vectors by the tool radius, which means there will be a 1/2" flat at the lower ends. I profile cut inside the cut for this example.Conical Taper fluting.jpgconical taper fluting.crv
Thanks again Mike. Hmm, want to fully understand your approach. It seems that to make a dome shape, using circular vectors stepping in at 25% of the End Mill diamter, in my case, 1/4" End Mill, thus 1/16" steps would do the trick. So am confused about your use of straight lines as vectors. Also, not sure what I am looking at in the image you attached...

Chris
Chris

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RacerChris »

FixitMike wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:50 am
I use straight lines as vectors. For this example I used a 1/2" end mill with the vectors spaced about 1/2" apart at the outer ends. Note that the cut extends beyond the vectors by the tool radius, which means there will be a 1/2" flat at the lower ends. I profile cut inside the cut for this example.Conical Taper fluting.jpgconical taper fluting.crv
Thanks again Mike. Hmm, want to fully understand your approach. It seems that to make a dome shape, using circular vectors stepping in at 25% of the End Mill diamter, in my case, 1/4" End Mill, thus 1/16" steps would do the trick. So am confused about your use of straight lines as vectors. Also, not sure what I am looking at in the image you attached...

Chris
Chris