Import & nest DXF files

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
hinmanl
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster 4 x 8 Stinger 4 (Panther)

Import & nest DXF files

Post by hinmanl »

I am running a program called CabWriter that creates cabinets. This is a great cabinet program that allows you to create a kitchens or other cabinet designs easily and then export them into Aspire. With the update to version 10.019, I am having problems with Aspire fully recognizing (identifying parts) the DXF files (it is taking over 4.5 minutes) to recognize the 235 cabinet parts for a complete kitchen - 3 walls uppers and lowers and a full island. After it does recognize the parts, when I click the preview, I get an error "Overflow. Too many parts to be nested." under version 9, I did not have this problem.

I am running a beta version of CabWriter which may be a problem between the beta releases, but I should still not be getting this error.

The other program I have is called CutList Plus fx and it quickly creates the nested sheetsm much faster than Aspire for only one material type when CutList Pro fx does all material types and creates nesting for each material type; not just the current imported pieces for a given material. CutlList Pro fx creates 23 fully nested sheets (for the pre-finished 3/4" maple 4' x 8' plywood) in a few minutes for all components within each material type - 1/2" (1 type) 3/4" (3 types). The program creates two DXF files: 1 - integrated with all of the parts and 2: individual parts. I use the integrated file to import all of the items in at one time and then run the nest program. When I run the integrated version with fewer parts, it runs fine.

When I run Aspire on the 3/4" MDF it gives me 6 sheets from the nesting program; the CutList Pro fx gives me 5 sheets. There has to be something different with the way Aspire optimizes the sheets which gives me an extra sheet requirement.

What has changed in the nesting portion of the program to cause this error?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Import & nest DXF files

Post by Adrian »

There were lots of changes in the v10 nesting but you would be better of contacting Vectric directly via support@vectric.com and providing sample files. This is primarily a user to user support forum.

The nesting in Vectric software is true shape nesting which performs best with lots of random shapes of different sizes. Lots of letters of different fonts and sizes for examples. It's not so great with simple shapes like cabinets and you can often get better results by using the manual array features.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

My curiosity was piqued so I did an experiment. I haven't done cabinets for a while but I have no issue with nesting generally and it's something I do several times a day. I took a cabinet job that nests to 7 sheets, put it all one sheet and exported as a DXF. I then imported it into a new session and set it for 100 copies of each. The whole nest performed faultlessly, took just over 2 minutes (just a few seconds to recognise the parts) and created nearly 900 sheets.

I'm guessing there is something particular to your files that is tripping it up. Maybe an issue with the way the program creates DXF files?

I noticed that CabWriter is a Sketchup based program. Did you know that you can import Sketchup files directly into VCarve/Aspire?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

When I run Aspire on the 3/4" MDF it gives me 6 sheets from the nesting program; the CutList Pro fx gives me 5 sheets. There has to be something different with the way Aspire optimizes the sheets which gives me an extra sheet requirement.
Just different algorithms, or optimized differently. I've used high end nesting programs, that typically have a lot of user adjustable parameters. Changing any single parameter can often give you drastically different results.
I'm assuming that nesting in Aspire is set up to give good results with a lot of different results. Your Cutlist Plus is probably optimized for nesting cabinet parts, which allows it to use fewer sheets. In some cases, it can be beneficial to use more sheets, if it results in faster cycle times. This is especially true when cutting cabinet parts on a beam saw.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

hinmanl
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster 4 x 8 Stinger 4 (Panther)

Post by hinmanl »

Everyone,

I just talked to Joe Zeh and we got it resolved. The issue is that CabWriter is a SketchUp add on and when it exports the files, it also exports the labels with the cabinet part. Having worked with SketchUp, I know that when you convert text, it converts it to a curve. While I was continuing to try and resolve the issue, I noticed that a lot of text was randomly placed on the plywood sheet. One particular item would not nest. Looking at that item, the label extended way beyond the part. I deleted the extra text and it then was nested.

Joe said that it was a label and should not be counted. I went to the layers tab and turned the Labels off and ran the nesting again and it ran quickly and produced the complete sheet layout (24 total).

Lynn