Need some help

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Lesa Duncan
Model of CNC Machine: AR8 PRO

Need some help

Post by Lesa Duncan »

I made a barrel lid for a friend that asked if I could and I liked it alot however I want to improve it. I want the deep cut I had there but I also want a v cut carve around it to get those small curly cues. I have attached the picture of the first one. I am also attaching a file where I wrote another one but dont have a barrel lid to waste. I would appreciate if someone would look at it and tell me if it is right and I am on the right track;
hodgrs.jpg
Attachments
carlisle3.JPG
carlisle2.JPG
carlisle1.JPG

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: Need some help

Post by BigC »

Hi.
Apologies if I'm sounding a little condescending and others will be able to give you a more definitive answer.
But why don't you cut yourself a few circles (same size and depth as your product material) from cheap MDF and practice on those? You can mess things up and can also use both sides without costing yourself money with the more expensive wooden lids. Making notes as you go along changing your tooling bits, paths, depths etc. This way you'll eventually construct the final blueprint that you can save and go back to time and time again
Just a thought
Regards
C

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Looks to me like you made the outside V cut either on the line or inside the line. I'd use the Profile Toolpath for that V cut and experiment. Check your Preview after you recalculate the toolpaths. It will show what your cut is going to look like and then you don't have to use up your valuable wood. BigC is correct that using a much cheaper wood for the cut will save on using valuable wood for the final cut. Also, you may have to resize the images to accommodate the outside V cut.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You didn't attach the file as you said which is what's really needed.

From the pictures it looks like you've run the v-carve clearing toolpath but not the v-carve toolpath itself.

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

IMG_0031.jpg
We are not understanding your issue (too early, more coffee), but from your picture, it is clear your graphics need to be scaled down to better fit inside the barrel lid. They go too far to the edge.
Also, it looks like you used a straight cutter for parts of your graphic.

We have provided a picture of a wine barrel with the Jack Daniels graphic. This started off as 3/4" Maple plywood. Made to look like a wine barrel.

Now that we've had more coffee, we see you are using an Engraving setting instead of VCarving setting.

mark-s
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: diy 4 X 4 CNC Router

Post by mark-s »

Love the Jack Daniel`s barrel.
Good job.
mark-s

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by BigC »

Although there is no substitute for real authentic barrel lids
There is a free (Design and Make project) give away with one of the sign tutorials on the Vectric website. (Bar 1) if you don't wish to ruin good wood.
https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... D_Assembly
You can either V Carve into it using the project onto a 3d model or skim the centre and V Carve normally using depths.
It will take longer to do but it might save you money on proper barrel lids.
mock barrel.PNG
Check it out
Regards
C