v10 on Windows XP

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
yobuda
Model of CNC Machine: Custom gantry, dual router heads

v10 on Windows XP

Post by yobuda »

I was just getting ready to upgrade from v8.5 to v10...but it looks like Vectric does not support Windows XP with Aspire v10?
Does anyone have any experience running it successfully on XP?
My design PC is Win10, but upgrading the the OS on the PC that runs my CNC isn't an option (at least easily), and I still need to open Aspire out in the shop to make on-the-fly modifications at times.

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Re: v10 on Windows XP

Post by AdamJ »

Hi Yobuda,

Since Microsoft have long discontinued support for Windows XP we are in the process of officially removing support for our products on Windows XP. Many of the external libraries we rely on have removed support, as have Microsoft's own development tool kits, and so the task of maintaining compatibility is becoming more and more difficult. We have made Windows 7 a minimum requirement for the products on all our product descriptions.

All that said, version 10 does run on Windows XP and 10.5 will as well, but we wanted to make people aware of what might be coming at some point down the line.

Adam

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Post by sawmiller »

that would be to bad, most of us hobbist are using older computers out in the shop.
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Yup, eventually things become obsolete/out of date.

One of the really good things is that it has become a lot cheaper to replace a computer these days.

I recently wrote about replacing my failing laptop with one of those new fangled fanless mini pc's. $150 with Windows 10 installed. Runs the machine no problem and everything else too. Bought a new keyboard and mouse while I was at it, Logitech, $14. The computer came with 4 usb ports, vga port, hdmi and a Sata SSD bay. I spent another $39 on a 500gb drive for it.

So for about $200 I got a new setup. Sure that mini pc is not the fastest thing, but it is faster than the old laptop.

No one expects software to run on Window 3.0 anymore either.

Windows 7 was released in 2009, ten years ago. XP was released in 2001.

Asking companies to support an operating system that was obsolete ten years ago isn't very realistic.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Yup, eventually things become obsolete/out of date.

One of the really good things is that it has become a lot cheaper to replace a computer these days.

I recently wrote about replacing my failing laptop with one of those new fangled fanless mini pc's. $150 with Windows 10 installed. Runs the machine no problem and everything else too. Bought a new keyboard and mouse while I was at it, Logitech, $14. The computer came with 4 usb ports, vga port, hdmi and a Sata SSD bay. I spent another $39 on a 500gb drive for it.

So for about $200 I got a new setup. Sure that mini pc is not the fastest thing, but it is faster than the old laptop.

No one expects software to run on Window 3.0 anymore either.

Windows 7 was released in 2009, ten years ago. XP was released in 2001.

Asking companies to support an operating system that was obsolete ten years ago isn't very realistic.

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard

Post by sawmiller »

Does the new computer have a parallel port?
Im running mach3 with 2 parallel port. Right now.
So id have to upgrade to usb somehow
In the heart of Tn

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard

Post by sawmiller »

Just looked at the win7 and 8 upgrades on ebay, and they are definitely cheap enough....
In the heart of Tn

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

sawmiller wrote:Does the new computer have a parallel port?
Im running mach3 with 2 parallel port. Right now.
So id have to upgrade to usb somehow
Nope, no parallel port. Ethernet connection though, so you use a smooth stepper or other similar board. Improves performance.

I am a pretty cheap old guy myself, walk around mumbling "these used to be only . . . ." and then make a sour face. :( Still cannot figure out why McD's cheeseburgers are still not 19 cents apiece.

Seriously, this is one of those things that after you bite the bullet you will think "Jeeeze, I should have done this long ago. . . .".

I forgot to mention, those mini pc's come without all the junk usually packed with Windows. They boot really, REALLY fast. That is worth the price of admission alone in my book!

rdean33422
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: RF31, 4X8 Router both CNC

Post by rdean33422 »

Yes
Version 10 does run on a XP machine but you will need Service Pack 3 installed.

Found that out last month when I upgraded.

Ray

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Being Black Friday in two days, you can get a laptop at Walmarts for $150. I once bought a usb to parallel adapter for around $10, which you can find on Amazon. The laptops that run my CNC, 3-D printer, laser engraver are all the cheap Walmart laptops that I only spent $200 for. Also, you may consider changing the circuit control board, which you can get starting from $30.

Gary