Printed Manual

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Printed Manual

Post by ohiolyons »

For those of you who like a printed or PDF searchable manual.

1) Double click on the Documentation Icon installed on your desktop or Help Contents within Aspire

2) Select Single Page from the top of of what opens up

What's New! Keyboard Shortcuts Single Page User Guide Vectric Website Tutorial Videos User Forum

3) Select Print from the Windows Customize and Control button (Windows 10)

4) when the print preview screen comes up change the destination to Save as PDF (it may take a while the document is 70 MB)

You now have a searchable manual as a PDF.

I know it is only accurate on the day it is Printed as a PDF, but it is searchable. And printable albeit 419 pages.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Printed Manual

Post by Adrian »

Once you've clicked the Single Page link you can use the search features of the browser you're using to search for anything you need. For most browsers pressing Ctrl-F brings up the search dialog.

Also don't forget that with V10 the ? mark icon can be used to go directly to the Help for the active function and you can use the first interactive page of the Help to click on any part of the interfaces/menu.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Adrian, it is indeed handy to have that little question mark available. That said, from a UI standpoint, I find it too close to the "frequently used" icon to switch between design and tool pathing, resulting in frequently launching help without intention to do so. Perhaps it can be moved a little farther away in a future release so it's not tucked so tightly to the other control in the UI.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Must of done something wrong. When I did what you said about searching with the browser it only found the first occurrence of the search topic.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

ohiolyons wrote:Must of done something wrong. When I did what you said about searching with the browser it only found the first occurrence of the search topic.
Depends on your browser. Most will display an up and down arrow next to the search term. If you click the down arrow it will carry on searching down the document until the next match and the up arrow will search backwards. With some browsers pressing the F3 key after you've found the first match will go to the next.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Jim_in_PA wrote:Adrian, it is indeed handy to have that little question mark available. That said, from a UI standpoint, I find it too close to the "frequently used" icon to switch between design and tool pathing, resulting in frequently launching help without intention to do so. Perhaps it can be moved a little farther away in a future release so it's not tucked so tightly to the other control in the UI.
I generally have both tabs pinned open all the time but if I'm on the laptop which has a smaller screen I always use the F11 and F12 keys rather than the icons. I guess I'm old fashioned in that I always use the keyboard commands in preference to mouse clicks..

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Since I work on a Mac, some keyboard shortcuts are wonky so I avoid them...totally a rodent guy at this point because it's universal. :)

PonderosaPine
Model of CNC Machine: Freedom Machine Tool

Post by PonderosaPine »

Has anyone figured out how to "print" a .pdf version of the 10.5 User Guide? The technique mentioned in November 2019 seems to be only capturing a single page. Perhaps I am not understanding what the "Windows Customize and Control button (Windows 10)" is and where to find it ...

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Unsuccessful on several tries also.

3 possible issues and I think #3 is the most likely.

1) I assumed operator error.

2) changes to windows 10.

3) Vectric has done something to make it harder to print a paper copy.

In the past when running into difficulties printing you get 2 responses. You don’t need it just press the question mark or the on-line is more accurate.

There have been several times where I and others have caught errors, pointed it out to Vectric support and changes don’t get made for multiple months. So it is not like it is updated in a timely manner!

Vectric (if you are listening) there are 3 types of users out there if your manual:

1) that the ? Button is all they need;

2) some “old timers” just want paper;

3) me - someone who looks at the manual trying to learn new things when they are away from an electronic device. I always get to appointments early so on the past I might take a chapter with me to glance at. Sometime you get a oh I didn’t know it could do that moment.

I can’t even put it on my iPad because of the inability to make a PDF.

Sorry for my rant and if this is a Windows issue a 1000 pardons Vectric!
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Unsuccessful on several tries also.

3 possible issues and I think #3 is the most likely.

1) I assumed operator error.

2) changes to windows 10.

3) Vectric has done something to make it harder to print a paper copy.

In the past when running into difficulties printing you get 2 responses. You don’t need it just press the question mark or the on-line is more accurate.

There have been several times where I and others have caught errors, pointed it out to Vectric support and changes don’t get made for multiple months. So it is not like it is updated in a timely manner!

Vectric (if you are listening) there are 3 types of users out there if your manual:

1) ones that the ? Button is all they need;

2) some “old timers” just want paper;

3) me - someone who looks at the manual trying to learn new things when they are away from an electronic device. I always get to appointments early so in the past I might take a chapter with me to glance at. Sometimes you get a oh I didn’t know it could do that moment.

I can’t even put it on my iPad because of the inability to make a PDF.

Sorry for my rant and if this is a Windows issue a 1000 pardons Vectric!
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The complete help is stored as a series of HTML documents so you can browse it offline. If there's no internet connection it will use the offline version automatically. If you want to use it on a machine that you can't install Vectric software on then you can copy the Language/{your language}/Help folder to the other machine and launch whichever type of Help/Documentation you're interested in from the index pages in the sub-folders in the page folders. I copied mine over to my android tablet a while ago as I often answer questions on the forum when I'm away from home and my Vectric PC's.

dmthomson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dmthomson »

ohiolyons wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:32 pm

Where is this button? I've got Windows 10 and use Mozilla Firefox. Is the button in the Microsoft browser? Thanks
Don
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
http://www.dlwoodworks.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

It is a selection at the top of the window:
HelpSinglePage.JPG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

dmthomson wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:33 pm
ohiolyons wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:32 pm

Where is this button? I've got Windows 10 and use Mozilla Firefox. Is the button in the Microsoft browser? Thanks
No idea what that bit is about either. To print from a browser you just press Ctrl-P.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

It is the circle in the upper right hand corner with 3 dots. Hover over it and it will say Custom and Control Google Chrome.

Of course it does NOT work nor does Ctrl P. You can not do a ctrl P and print the whole manual!
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio