Cutting both sides

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Cutting both sides

Post by Wayne Locke »

Based on obscenities per hour this has not been a good afternoon. I want to cut this two sided model of a stool part. I guess I do not understand zero planes like I thought. My plan was to make separate zero planes for the top and bottom to toolpath the whole model on both sides. This seems not to be. I have done this before but evidently no longer have the memory to remember how. I don't even remember when I lost the ability to remember. I have even considered the old method of making two single sided jobs. I have included screenshots of the top and bottom and of a quick bottom toolpath. I do not understand why the toolpath disregards half of the model? I am calmly asking, "Help!!!"
Attachments
Bot.jpg
BotTp.jpg
Top.jpg

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Cutting both sides

Post by Wayne Locke »

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Your file when logged on to Dropbox says it does not exist.

I did notice from the screen shot on the bottom side you do not have the zero plane checked. You should have a zero plane on BOTH SIDES and put in a Negative value, usually the distance you want to mill past center.

Another problem, I experienced, if I do not import the model, it may not be centered into the material. You may try to export it as an stl file and then re-import it. Without the file, it's hard to know.

Gary

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Wayne Locke »

Here is a screenshot of the bottom with the zero plane set to -0.77" which causes the top of the model to drop out. I showed the bottom toolpath to show how it ignored the top of the model.

The Dropbox link works for me but I haven't been able to try someone else's computer.

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Wayne Locke »

Pilot error.

Here's the other screenshot.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 4.36.25 PM.jpg

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

The Dropbox link works for me but I haven't been able to try someone else's computer.

Still won't let me access it.

It looks like the material is setting on the bottom of the job and not in the center, but can't tell for sure. Try the suggestion of exporting it as an stl file and re-import it.

Gary