Need help with Stacked Text and Clipart

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
PaulLNAA
Model of CNC Machine: Nextwave Automation Piranha XL

Need help with Stacked Text and Clipart

Post by PaulLNAA »

Hi All,

I am a long time reader and first time poster in the Aspire forum. Lots of great information on here and it has helped us countless times. I have finally come across a problem that requires an answer I have not yet found on here. (Just so we are on the same page, we have upgraded to Aspire 10.)

We are creating a stacked text sign to give as a wedding gift. This is the first time we are incorporating clipart--in the past, we have just done a textured background.

There is a ring of unfinished material around the clip art. I have changed the boundary offset and the model position in the material to no avail.

Can someone help me understand what step(s) I am missing? I have attached the file below for ease of reference.

Much obliged,

Paul

PaulLNAA

Re: Need help with Stacked Text and Clipart

Post by PaulLNAA »

Sorry, all... It turns out the Aspire file is too large to attach. I will work on getting a dropbox link for anyone interested in assisting.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Please do on the dropbox. I did a similar sign for a wedding gift with the same result around the added clipart. My work around was a couple hours of hand chiseling and sanding. I tried rest machining to get rid of it but to no avail. I also ran the finish toolpath again directly around the clip art and it still left the edges raised. Be interesting if some one has a work around for this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
doty.jpg
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

PaulLNAA

Post by PaulLNAA »

Here is the dropbox link. (Please let me know if this doesn't work.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7pqkyr9jn5fs ... crv3d?dl=0

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

came through fine on my end. :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

PaulLNAA

Post by PaulLNAA »

Hmm...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. This is what I'm getting when I run the preview. I'm hoping to get the clip art more flush with the background--eliminate that ring of unfinished material and not have the clip art stand so proud above the background. My apologies if I didn't initially explain it very well.

--Paul
Attachments
tim_collette.jpg

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Your background is at .2. If you add a base of .35" to the deer and trees they will stand proud .15" of the background. You might want to add a little draft.
Attachments
Stacked sign.jpg
Steve

PaulLNAA

Post by PaulLNAA »

Thanks for the replies so far. This is an example of my inspiration. I'm hoping for this sort of seamless transition from the clipart to the background.

--Paul
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-09-27 Personalized Family Name Signs CARVED Custom Wooden Sign Last name Wedding Gift Tree Mountain Establi[...].png

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Played with your file a little. Did the following:

1. Added a zero plane
2. In "Material Setup" under the toolpaths panel, I changed the Gap Above Model to 0.1007". This represents the 0.20" depth of the pocket, less the model height
3. Created boundary vectors for the models. Note that I had to clip the boundary vectors at the top and bottom so they wouldn't cut into the "G", "R" and the frame. Otherwise, boundary vector is offset 0.2" from the model so that it will extend beyond where the V-carve toolpath's pocket ends.
4. Changed the Machining Limit Boundary for the finish machining toolpath to "Selected Vectors"
5. Recalculated all the toolpaths

Can't upload the file back to your dropbox, and I think the deer and trees are copyrighted so don't want to post here. If you make those changes you should get closer to what you want. I should have clipped the boundary vector just little more as the carving is still cutting into the border and the letters just a little.
Attachments
Example sign.JPG
Example Sign Vectors.JPG
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

PaulLNAA

Post by PaulLNAA »

Steve,

Thank you, sir! That makes perfect sense. Adding the zero plane should have been a part of my thought process--rookie mistake! :P

If I PM you a drop box link, could you send the file back to me so I can work through it?

--Paul

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Sure - I'll look for the message.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

PaulLNAA

Post by PaulLNAA »

Sorry, Steve. It looks like I'm not authorized to send you a PM. If you can PM me your email address, I will add you to the DropBox folder.

I still have a lot to learn!

--Paul