2 Sided and Thickness of material

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 w/Rotary, Aspire 11.5

2 Sided and Thickness of material

Post by sylvan356 »

I am trying to create a guitar body with a bevel on both sides.Thickness of the blank is 1.75". I can 2 rail sweep the top side bevel with no problem. I can sweep the back side and create the bevel but when I go to create a tool path for the back side the program tells me that my cuts exceed the material thickness. The program says my material thickness should now be doubled. How do I get the program to keep the original thickness (1.75") and not 3.5"?
Thanks for any suggestions!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: 2 Sided and Thickness of material

Post by mtylerfl »

Somewhere in your layout you are “Adding” the thickness of the top and bottom sides together.

Carefully review your layout settings to make the corrections. If you had provided a link to download your file, we could have been more specific.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Somewhere in your layout you are “Adding” the thickness of the top and bottom sides together.
Quite often when that happens to me, it turns out the Tabs are too thick and need to be adjusted.

Gary

sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sylvan356 »

Michael
Enclosed is the file. Thanks for he help!
Sylvan
Attachments
Bishop Body edit.crv3d
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 89 times

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I see you are on line and Michael isn't so I looked at your file. The component on the top side has a thickness of 1.75" and the component on the bottom side has a thickness of 1.75". Added together it equals 3.5". Your material thickness is only 1.75". The thicknesses of the components on each side is added together to get an overall model thickness. You can check it by using the "Model Height" button on the modeling menu.
Attachments
Model Height button.jpg
Steve

sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sylvan356 »

Steve
I understand that. What I am trying to do is to put a bevel on both sides. When I did the two rail sweep I made the vector "sweeping across th span 1.75" tall. Therefore each side is looking at 1.75". What I do not understand is, if I did them in separate one sided files they would work fine but trying to do them in the same file is perplexing. Any input would be most appreciated!
Sylvan

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Make them both 7/8"??
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sylvan356 »

That does not work as it cuts the depth in half!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Mr. Sylvan, you are not listening, you have focused on something and it is distracting you.

Steve Nelson explained that you have the models on each side set to 1.75 thickness. That is not going to work and will never work. You can talk about doing a two rail sweep until the moon turns blue and it is not the problem.

Think of it this way, you have two sides, total thickness is 1.75. That means you have .875 on each side to work with. That means your two rail sweep cannot be taller than .875. You do NOT create the two rail sweep based on total thickness.

You must work within the .875 depth on each side when creating components or you will have a mess on your hands as you are now experiencing.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Mr Sylvan: Further, the curve part of the sweep is only .771 tall so there is no reason for you to put those long legs on it making it 1.75 tall.

sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sylvan356 »

I want to thank everyone for helping me understand what is happening. Sometimes the distractions get in the way! TReischl, your explanations finally made sense to me. Thank you.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

sylvan356 wrote:I want to thank everyone for helping me understand what is happening. Sometimes the distractions get in the way! TReischl, your explanations finally made sense to me. Thank you.
You are most welcome sir! We got a great bunch of people on this forum who enjoy helping each other out.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Just as an added note, two sided requires very careful consideration for the "measure from" in the material setup, too. For me, material thickness is always from the spoil board, regardless of what side I'm working at the moment.

I'm soon to dive into this same thing with some contouring on both front and back of guitar bodies, so I feel for the issue!

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Jim_in_PA wrote:Just as an added note, two sided requires very careful consideration for the "measure from" in the material setup, too. For me, material thickness is always from the spoil board, regardless of what side I'm working at the moment.

I'm soon to dive into this same thing with some contouring on both front and back of guitar bodies, so I feel for the issue!
So true... I took Michael Tyler's advice on the same type of problem. I sat down for a couple of hours and played with the double-sided options of 'Z Zero Position', Material Setup, and such. I'm still not totally clear, but the water is not as murky now.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

gklas, it's really really helpful to be consistent in process, too...to pick a method and stick with it. That's helped me a whole lot with "flipping things" for sure. Now, if I could only not occasionally forget to reset X-Y zero before starting to cut something for the first time. LOL