Using Aspire surface modelling for 3D Printing

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Using Aspire surface modelling for 3D Printing

Post by Rusty »

Greetings to all,

I have a 3d printing project that requires a brick surface texture on a vertical wall.
I have not learned how to design a brick wall surface using other software so I thought I could design the texture in Aspire, with a narrow "Z" height, then print that Aspire design, then glue the Aspire print on to the side of the wall.
I have made several attempts to make the raised brick style in Aspire, export as a STL, then try to 3d print, but can't seem to make this happen. The printing goes all wanky and makes a big blobby mess.

Just curious if anyone has tried to make something similar and how did you make it happen?
Would welcome your feedback, comments, hints and suggestions.

Thanks to All that reply,

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Using Aspire surface modelling for 3D Printing

Post by Adrian »

Sounds like the issues are at the 3D printing end rather than Aspire. If the STL loads and previews correctly in your slicing software then I would suspect the settings. I export STL's from Aspire to my Zortrax 3D printer all the time without issues.

All I can think of off the top of my head is that you didn't specify to close the back face when exporting and your slicer software isn't putting the correct supports in or prompting you if you want to close the model.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

There is a Block Wall in the texture area tiles of Aspire that may help.
Attachments
Block Wall Clipart.jpg
Steve

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rusty »

Thanks @Adrian, @SteveNelson46

I have used the clipart that @SteveNelson46 references as my wall texture for this project.

I have exported the STL file with the details you referenced.

Maybe I'm not setting up Aspire properly before I import the brick clipart.
Did have some trouble getting the brick clipart to size and scale properly into the size I need.

What would be the narrowest thickness I could use & still achieve the brick texture/detail?

I will re-check my slicer software to make sure the settings look correct.

Looking forward to using Aspire with some of my 3d printer designs, just need to sort out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks All,

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Do an image search on "brick wall height map" and look for one with dark grout.
Attachments
brickwall.jpg

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Rusty,

3D printing software often requires a closed mesh file.
What "Back face of triangulation" did you export the file with?

Cheers,

Mark.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I have not learned how to design a brick wall surface using other software so I thought I could design the texture in Aspire, with a narrow "Z" height, then print that Aspire design, then glue the Aspire print on to the side of the wall.
I have made several attempts to make the raised brick style in Aspire, export as a STL, then try to 3d print, but can't seem to make this happen. The printing goes all wanky and makes a big blobby mess.
I have done several Lithophanes created in Aspire then exported as a STL and printed on my 3-D printer. The thinnest point was less than 1mm (.003") and they came out good. When exporting you have to Close the Back Face of Triangulation with a flat plane.

Although I have a commercial grade 3-D Printer and everything is automatic, I bought one of the kids a $400 3-D printer and the printing sometimes goes all wanky and a blobby mess. It's because it requires rubbing a dry glue stick on the platform so the material sticks.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rusty »

Thanks @garylmast, I have exported with "Close Back Face" but will need to explore it again, maybe I'm missing something. Impressive thin point of .003". Prints stick well to surface.

Thanks @Mark, I wasn't aware there were choices of "Back Face of Triangulation", so I'm not sure what I selected, need to re-do the design.

I will have to re-assess and re-design.

Thanks again All,

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Rusty wrote: Thanks @Mark, I wasn't aware there were choices of "Back Face of Triangulation", so I'm not sure what I selected, need to re-do the design.
The "Back Face of Triangulation" is the header for the choice of how you close the back face. By the sounds of it you selected "Close with a flat plane" which is what I use when 3D printing and would be the correct one for your design.

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rusty »

Thanks @Adrian, I believe I did select "Close with a flat plane".
Maybe I 'm setting up my material sizes wrong, such as the material thickness.
When using the supplied Vectric clipart, such as the brick texture, how should I be understanding the material thickness?
How would I know what depth is the deepest tooling toolpath before it cuts thru the material? Would that show me on the toolpath preview.

I think the best would be for me to start over, follow the suggestions given, then ask questions from those results.

Again, thanks for all.

I had to do a work-around to get this project completed.
I found a very crisp vector image of the brick design, brought it into Vectric and did some vector editing, then exported as an STL, inserted into other software and did the extrusions and modeling. The modeling was a pain because I am just learning how to do that. Exported the finished design and 3d printed it. Worked great, looks pretty good.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Rusty,

After you have placed a model in the project, select it, then click the Wrench icon to view the model properties. It will display the model thickness.

You can also hover your mouse cursor over the model name in the modeling tree to get a pop-up menu that should show the thickness, but it doesn’t always work. (The Wrench icon always works fine).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Rusty »

Thanks @mtylerfl, good tip, I'll try that.