3d outline

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
grandlase
Model of CNC Machine: sytec

3d outline

Post by grandlase »

Hi guys,

I am using aspire 9.5 to cut 3d stuff. But after I import the model, it shows that the boundary of the model very rough and it is more clear to see when I use the outline function.
The model that picture shows should be a round corner. Is there any way to fix it?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: 3d outline

Post by Adrian »

What resolution do you have the job set to? How big is the model compared to the material size?

https://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tr ... video_id=9

grandlase

Post by grandlase »

Adrian wrote:What resolution do you have the job set to? How big is the model compared to the material size?

https://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tr ... video_id=9
Hi,

I set the resolution tas maximum and the model size is 23" by 15". material size is 36" by 36

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I wouldn't create a model on a piece of material that much bigger than the model, you're wasting a lot of pixels. Better to follow the recommendations in the video.

Have you toolpathed and previewed it? I wouldn't worry too much what the pixels look like when you zoom in. They are more than likely far smaller than the tool you would be using to cut something of those dimensions.

grandlase

Post by grandlase »

Adrian wrote:I wouldn't create a model on a piece of material that much bigger than the model, you're wasting a lot of pixels. Better to follow the recommendations in the video.

Have you toolpathed and previewed it? I wouldn't worry too much what the pixels look like when you zoom in. They are more than likely far smaller than the tool you would be using to cut something of those dimensions.
Got it. I made the material size smaller and it comes better. the other problem I have is the outline tool. it creates an outline that runs into the model, it is not the real outline of the model which is a problem when i see the finished part, the piece is not like the model

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Please upload a complete screenshot or two, so we can see what you are talking about and maybe offer some helpful suggestions.

Even better, upload your actual Vectric file (not a PDF, not gcode, but the actual Vectric file!). If the file is too large to upload here, then use a free file transfer service such as DropBox and then post the download link here instead.

Make it easy for us to help you. Please.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

grandlase

Post by grandlase »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x22dyoquowki1 ... 1.crv?dl=0

First off thanks for all the help
I uploaded a dropbox with the file if possible I would love to see a toolpath from the community maybe I am doing it wrong?

thanks in advance

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

This whole model boundary thing can be really misunderstood. It is NOT controlling how round corners in a model will be cut unless it is used for something like a profile cut.

When I need to have something like a perfect round corner I create those vectors rather than relying on the tool that creates a boundary automatically. I am pretty sure the intended function of that tool is to control the area where the tool cuts. If you think about it that tool is nothing more than a tracing algorithm, there is no way a tracing program knows that a radius should be tangent to two lines and be of a certain radius.

I am curious as to WHY this is important to you? Sometimes we get hung up on "I think it should do it this way, it doesn't, so now it is an issue for me. Even though it actually has little to no effect on the end result." Not saying that is the case, just wondering, it is a model, not a part for a Space X missle.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Post by Pete Cyr »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx7lqfweg0ikz ... crv3d?dl=0
-sample revised.png
I took your sample and tweaked it a bit to get better model.
Opened in 50x resolution
opened you sample file
Smoothed a bit
Sliced it 35x
deleted the 2 lowest slices
Created a new component from view
increased the shape height to give a bit more definition lost in smoothing
added a modeling plan
Merged by modeling plane and component by create a new component from view
Created vector boundaries
created a rubber band boundary vector using the boundary vectors
opened a new file at 7x resolution
copied the componet and vectors into the new file and saved
created a 3D tool path and 2d cutout tool path

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Peter,

Interesting strategy. I like it and will try it some day. I like the slicing and deleting the lower slices. Interesting approach.

Thanks for posting that.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Leo wrote:Peter,

Interesting strategy. I like it and will try it some day. I like the slicing and deleting the lower slices. Interesting approach.

Thanks for posting that.
That was a fairly common strategy I used prior to when the Replace Below gadget became available. I seldom need to use the slicing/deleting procedure anymore. The Replace Below is my “go-to” now for trimming away the bottom bits of a model, when required.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Post by Pete Cyr »

Michael - I use that quite a bit - but sometime I find it faster when I am unsure how much I want to delete to just slice and see what it looks like

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Ok, Pete. Nuttin’ wrong with that.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

grandlase

Post by grandlase »

@ Pete Cyr thanks a gazillion! we followed the instructions and it works well aldo it takes forever like 10 hours but the end result is great!
Thanks again for all the input you guys rock!
Attachments
IMG-20190710-WA0050.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

grandlase wrote:@ Pete Cyr thanks a gazillion! we followed the instructions and it works well aldo it takes forever like 10 hours but the end result is great!
Thanks again for all the input you guys rock!
Couple of things that can help with 3D machining times if you don't already know are increasing the actaul tool plunge rate, I often have it set at almost the same speed as the tool feed rate.
In the material set up (on the toolpathing side) your Z1 & Z2 settings. I have both of these set to low & that will also make a difference to machining times. :lol: :lol: