Slice a complicated 3d STL file?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
saaismail
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made Solsylva

Slice a complicated 3d STL file?

Post by saaismail »

Hi Folks- I'm just getting to play around with Aspire and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to (come close) to maching this tree on a 3 axis machine. I was hoping that it might be possible to slice it into maybe 15 layers and machine each one, glue them together and then sand the final piece to clean up the "under cut" areas which can't be machined on a 3 axis system.

My challenge is, and I'm guessing this is just the way it is, I can't slice it into multiple slices as the original STL file, I can just slice it after it's been been imported and looks like the second attachment (which already contains all the extra z-axis junk). Is there a way to do this or something obvious that I'm missing? I might be able to lay the tree down and machine the main part of the trunk as a front and back piece, but that doesn't help address any of the branches. Any Advice would be appreciated - I hope I explained the issue sufficiently. Thank!
IMG_4295.jpg
Attachments
IMG_4296.jpg

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Slice a complicated 3d STL file?

Post by garylmast »

After you slice it, you will need to uncheck the original model so it won't add to the thickness. You also want to make sure that if the model you're importing is metric, change the setup to metric prior to importing. Most models you download will be metric. You can always change it back after you import it. Also, on a double-sided job, you will have to adjust each slice to it's negative base height if you're doing an undercut.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

saaismail

Post by saaismail »

Hi Gary - I appreciate the response. When I unchecked the original file, it did indeed cut the height of the model in half, but the overall model looked the same. When I turned on only one slice at a time, there still seems to be some sort of overlap between the individual slices - for instance, I thought it would be easy to isolate a small slab of the lower trunk for instance, but every slab I check (if even by itself), seems to include all the branches as well.....I'm stumped! (sorry couldn't help myself)

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Without having the model, it's hard to see why you're have a problem. It still looks like you are importing a metric size model but have your job setup as inches. Don't try to change the setup after you import it, but start over. Do the setup as metric then import the model. Once you accepted everything, go back and change the setup to inches.

Gary

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Once you accepted everything, go back and change the setup to inches.
I have never needed to do that. The STL import has a metric/inches button that does the conversion. However, you can just type one of the numbers and the other dimensions will scale automatically.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I have never needed to do that. The STL import has a metric/inches button that does the conversion. However, you can just type one of the numbers and the other dimensions will scale automatically.
I don't either because I work in both metric and inches, however, someone, especially people who are new, and who only works with inches and/or metric would probably prefer to use what they are familiar with. Randall is correct, you don't need to change provided you continue to work with inches or metric numbers for which the model was imported in. Aspire with automatically convert when you select the post processor.

Gary

JimmyD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSalpha, custom rotary indexer

Post by JimmyD »

You can also slice and dice at will in software made for 3D printing and output just the sliced still files, instead of printing, then import into Aspire.

I use one called slic3r, but there are many that will do the same thing. This way you can pick the sliced thickness you want and slice it from both directions (or many directions) and import into Aspire. This should significantly reduce the issues with undercuts.

Jim

saaismail

Post by saaismail »

JimmyD - That sounds like a great option - I will check out slic3r - thank you!

Gary - I did start a new job in MM and had the same issue....? I'm not even sure anything is wrong, this might just be how the software works. I think I will try the 3rd party software to slice the file first. Hopefully that will help. Thx

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,

Aspire doesn't handle undercuts. That's why you get this result when importing. Every undercut is filled with material.

For machining this kind of objects with 3 axis, you'll have to use a 3D CAD system in order to cut it in several parts you can machine as 2 sided jobs. You may also need 4 sided jobs, depending on the complexity of the model and the gaps you allow between the digital model and the actual one.

HTH

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Aspire doesn't handle undercuts. That's why you get this result when importing. Every undercut is filled with material.]
I just did a 12-hour drive from Phoenix to Salt Lake City and half way I thought about this and my brain kick in. I was going to reply once I got back to my computer but LittleGrayMan beat me to the draw. Instead of slicing it sideways, you may try slicing from top to bottom. The only problem is, you'll have a bunch of little parts scattered around.

Gary

oxenham1
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Techno cnc

Post by oxenham1 »

I know this is an older post now (just saw it now:)) I slice crazy stuff like that all the time in STL Slicer. I wouldn't be able to create half the projects we do without that gem of a software!
Blog: http://www.fromaspiretobeyond.blogspot.com
Web: http://www.oxenhamdesign.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

oxenham1 wrote:I know this is an older post now (just saw it now:)) I slice crazy stuff like that all the time in STL Slicer. I wouldn't be able to create half the projects we do without that gem of a software!
+1
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

Just thought I'd mention that we plan to add this feature in V11.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

mohamed wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 pm
Yes - a wonderful and versatile new feature, Mohamed!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

mohamed wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 pm
Oh no!!! the teasers have begun :D
Just kidding Mohamed. It’s always welcomed to see what’s coming in new versions.
Now if I could only fully comprehend what is in my current version.... :mrgreen: