Half lap Dovetail in aspire

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dboardman366
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smartshop M

Half lap Dovetail in aspire

Post by dboardman366 »

I am struggling. I'd like to create a Half lap in the shape of a dovetail for this trestle base. I can't seem to to get the geometry correct. I have been specifically working on the bottom joint. Would anyone be willing to give me some pointers?
Attachments
Trestle base.crv3d
(256 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Half lap Dovetail in aspire

Post by TReischl »

dboardman366 wrote:I am struggling. I'd like to create a Half lap in the shape of a dovetail for this trestle base. I can't seem to to get the geometry correct. I have been specifically working on the bottom joint. Would anyone be willing to give me some pointers?
Looks like you have the geometry correct :::shrug::::.

You are saying it is a half lap? Does that also mean you are NOT using a dovetail bit? If you were using a dovetail bit to cut the dovetail shape I believe that is called a "housed dovetail", sort of commonly used between a stretcher and two rails on something like an open base desk.

But I am thinking you are doing just a straight half lap that happens to be shaped like a dovetail.

You are not clear on what your problem is. As I said above, the geometry looks correct. So I am going to assume that you are having fit problems. Right off the bat a given size bit rarely cuts exactly at its stated size, especially router bits. That will cause a fit problem one way or the other. What I do to determine what size a bit cuts is to cut a one inch square by profiling on the outside. Then I measure the square. The difference represents twice the error of the bit when cutting. Then I adjust the size in my database accordingly.

Other than that, not sure where you need help?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Pretty close if your want to embed the dovetail end 1/2 way into the base and top. See the attached file.
Attachments
Trestle base 4D.crv3d
(400.5 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

If you are truly doing a half lap joint I am not real crazy about it for something like a trestle table that will have a lot forces put on it in the horizontal directions. All that will be holding that leg to the base foot is a very small glue area, and one that is at cross grain to boot. Not good.

If you really want a dovetail I would do the base foot as a three piece lamination, capturing the dovetail much deeper in the center lamination.

If that is being done for looks, well, most people never look under a table to see what joinery was used and they could actually care less.

Just my opinion.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns