I need help

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 w/Rotary, Aspire 12

I need help

Post by sylvan356 »

I am trying to cut a hole in the side of a piece of material that is 5/8" wide x .73" deep. The bottom of the hole must have the 5/8" radius. I have tried doing this with a 2 rail sweep and using a 1/2" ball nose bit. It cuts the hole short and does not work. I suspect that this is because it needs a negative offset to reach the edges. However, I do not know how to set this so the result is right. Is this the proper way or is there another, simpler way to do what I want? Can anyone enlighten me on the proper way to do this? I am enclosing the file. It is ultimately for a slotted headstock jig. Thanks to whoever can help!!
Attachments
Tuner Holes Jig 2.crv3d
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 91 times

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: I need help

Post by litzluth »

Hi Sylvan. It looks to me like the pocket in the jig is intended to allow the jig to slip over the profile of the headstock at a known depth. If that is the case, then don't you have lots of surface area to prevent the jig from moving on the headstock? If so, couldn't you allow the 5/8" radius "holes" to intrude into the headstock area and not stop them at the headstock profile border?

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Post by jimwill2 »

If you make your 3d shapes longer (width of the piece being cut plus the radius of the bit) it should work. You'll just be cutting air it looks like.
Jim Williams

sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 w/Rotary, Aspire 12

Post by sylvan356 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Let me explain what I am trying to do. The 5/8" holes on either side of the cut out portion are designed to allow me to glue in 5/8" bushings on either side of the jig. Because the sides of the headstock are not 90 degrees to the jig the holes must be cut at an angle. Otherwise I would have just drilled the sides out on a drill press. The headstock of this jig will ultimately have tuners in holes drilled inside the bushings. Therefore, the 5/8" cutout must be exactly centered on the sides of the neck which will sit in this jig and be 90 degrees to the side of the headstock. I hope this makes sense?